The Mask Mode is one of the novelties introduced in the series with the latest installment, Sniper: Ghost Warrior Contracts. Thanks to it, the player receives additional information about the surrounding world, objects and opponents. In this chapter we explain how the Mask Mode works and how to use it to its fullest potential.
Characteristics of the Mask Mode
By default, the Mask Mode resembles Eagle Vision, known from the Assassin's Creed series, or the detective mode from the recent Batman games. Upon activation, all nearby interactive objects - corpses to search, boxes with ammo or other objects worth your attention - will be highlighted, with the effect lasting for the duration of the mode. In addition, it also allows you to see enemy anti-personnel mines. The mines itself will be highlighted, with red circles around them - getting inside the red zones will cause the mine to detonate.
There are, however, some restrictions to the Mask Mode. The mode lasts only for several seconds - after the time elapses, it will become inactive and unusable for a short time. The second limitation is that you cannot activate it while looking through binoculars or while using a drone. The last one is the quire limited area of effect - this, however, can be remedied with proper character development.
Development of the Mask Mode
The basic functionality of the Mask Mode can be enhanced, increasing the usability of this mechanics. This is done through unlocking specific abilities in the skill tree. Those are:
- Tracker-allows you to detect traps and mines within a radius of 5 m from the character. In addition, the character can examine hints - with them, you will be able, for instance, to learn about the marching routines of soldiers.
- Scout-marks the locations of all hidden passages, fuse boxes or security camera control panels. Moreover, the weak points of vehicles become visible - one accurate shot will cause them to explode.
- Cameraman-makes the security cameras' field of visions visible to the player.
- Environment Chip-increases the range of the Mask Mode to 15 meters.
- Echolocation-causes the sources of sounds to become visible, even those located behind obstacles.
- Tag Sensor-makes it so that the lines of sight of enemy snipers become visible.
- Target Tracking Plugin-marks all enemies located within 25 meters of the player character when the Mask Mode is active.
- Focused Lens-highlights enemy silhouettes within 24 meters of the player character when the Mask Mode is active.
- Detector Upgrade-detects all interactive objects in the player's field of view when the Mask Mode is enabled.
- X-Ray Vision-highlights silhouettes of all marked enemies, regardless of obstacles.
The Tracker, Scout and Target Tracking Plugin abilities deserve special attention, as once unlocked they will be active at all times - they cannot be swapped for another ability.
We sum up with a handful of tips related to the Mask Mode, namely:
- Use the Mask Mode regularly - it does not cost you anything and it allows you to acquire additional information about the surrounding objects and enemies.
- Develop the Mask Mode through various character abilities. Thus, this mode will be greatly improved, simplifying the entire gameplay and improving the elimination of enemies.
- Target Tracking Plugin is a real must-have improvement to the Mask Mode. Thanks to it, nearby enemies will be automatically marked, which is specially useful when the enemy is using a jammer - the enemies will still be marked, regardless of the device.
- When the Mask Mode turns off automatically, you will need to wait a few seconds until it becomes active again. This can be easily fixed - after turning the Mask Mode on, turn it off after about 10 seconds. Thus, the duration will be "refreshed" all the time, and the mode itself can be kept active virtually without end.