Demon of Hatred is the last optional boss in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. This powerful enemy with three health bars will test your ability to survive a fight that can last several minutes.
Where can I find Demon of Hatred?
Location: Ashina Castle after defeating Divine Dragon [closest Sculptor's Idol: Old Grave]
Rewards: Prayer Bead
After defeating the Divine Dragon, head to Old Grave Sculptor's Idol(the one near the reservoir). Look down - you will see the newly built bridge over the abyss, where the battle is taking place. This area is part of Ashina Outskirts; run to the beginning part of the location. If you want to, you can avoid the enemies standing on the path. A special Sculptor's Idol stands at the end of the road. It will transport you to the arena where you will face the boss.
Note - prepare yourself for this fight. The Sculptor's Idol located at the end of the path doesn't work like a checkpoint to which you can teleport. It only serves as a portal to this arena. If you are unprepared and die, you will have to start in Ashina Castle and follow this long path again.
How to defeat the Demon of Hatred?
Demon of Hatred is one of the most difficult bosses in the game - there is no room for mistakes here. Get Dousing Powder or Withered Red Gourd before the fight - these items will protect you from the fire. Yashariku's Sugar or Ako's Sugar will be useful here, too. These items will increase your damage. The boss uses the following attacks:
- Whip - this attack has a reach of a few meters. Can be deflected partially. However, this can deal you a bit of fire damage and build up the Burn status. Stand near the boss when he is using this attack - you will almost always avoid it.
- Attacks with legs and head - simple melee attacks. You can deflect them. We don't recommend dodging these attacks.
- Leap attack - the boss jumps a few meters above the ground and then falls down. When he hits the ground, he causes a shockwave. Jump right before the boss lands - you will avoid the damage. Use the grappling hook on the boss's head to avoid getting pushed backward.
- Fireball throw - the boss always throws twice; either stay away from the Demon of Hatred or stand very close to the creature. This is one of the most dangerous attacks - you can't defend yourself from it.
- Special attack - charge - the boss is charging towards Wolf. Jump diagonally and land near the boss's back leg. Usually, the boss does this attack when you are near him.
- When the boss has one health bar left, he will start using a special attack that sets a wide area on fire. When you see that the boss is about to use it, run away from him as fast as you can.
The key to winning this fight is to keep reacting in the same way to the boss's moves and stay calm. Try to stay close to the boss, especially to his back. You will never be safe here but the only way for the boss to attack you is to kick Wolf - this attack is easy to deflect and counter. The second trick is about moving to the right: when you are fighting with the boss, the best thing you can do is to keep moving to the right - thanks to this method you will be able to switch between attacking and dodging.