From this chapter of the guide to Sea of Thieves the player will learn what the Cursed Mermaids are, what are the types of Cursed Mermaids, and what reward can be obtained from them.
Cursed Mermaids is an unique event added permanently to Sea of Thieves with The Cursed Sunken update. While swimming the open waters of Sea of Thieves, players can encounter mysterious and intriguing siren statues. The statues can be destroyed in order to obtain valuable rewards.
- Cursed Mermaids - types, rewards, how to find them
- Cursed Mermaids - how to destroy them?
- Mermaid Gen - how and to who sell it?
Cursed Mermaids - types, rewards, how to find them
During the time of writing this guide to Sea of Thieves, there are 3 types of Cursed Mermaids, each with different difficulty level and rewards. Blue mermaid statue is easiest to break and it drops a Sapphire Mermaid Gem. The second easiest statue is green mermaid statue that drops Emerald Mermaid Gem. The hardest one is a red statue that drops the most valuable Ruby Mermaid Gem.
Cursed Mermaid statues can be found at the shores of small and large islands, excluding forts, outposts and seaports. Cursed Mermaids statues can appear on shallow waters or slightly further from the coast, but never on dry land. Each mermaid statue glows with the color of its gem, making it easy to see even from afar.
If you find yourself near one of the statues, you should hear specific rumble and humming. Follow the sound and you will definitely find one of the statues, gaining a chance for obtaining valuable price.
Cursed Mermaids - how to destroy them?
Mermaid statues deal a fixed number of damage whenever player's character gets close to them. Because of that, you should deal as much damage as possible with ranged weapons before you get to hitting it with a cutlass. Here are some pieces of advice that might help you with destroying Cursed Mermaids:
- Take some food with you - since mermaid statues are dealing some damage during direct contact, you will need some food that will keep your character alive;
- Statues can regenerate - if you deal some damage and then focus on a different activity (like combat with another pirate), then you will need to start damaging the statue from start;
- Sources of damage - melee weapons (cutlass) or gun-arms (pistol, shotgun etc.) are the best way of damaging the statues. You can also hit the statue with a cannonball;
- Explosives - it is also possible to damage the statues with explosives. Explosives placed at the base of the statue will deal the most damage during an explosion;
- Tactic - the general tactic of breaking each Cursed Mermaid is to empty the magazine of the firearm and then hit the statue with a cutlass until it breaks apart. You must also remember to regenerate the health you have lost.
Mermaid Statues are much easier to destroy on land than underwater. When trying to destroy a statue underwater, you must not only watch out for damage received from the artifact, but for sharks as well. What's more, if you remain underwater for too long, your character might start drowning and receive additional damage.
Mermaid Gen - how and to who sell it?
The jewels obtained by breaking the Cursed Mermaids are very valuable. Their precise value depends on the type of the gem and the difficulty of the Cursed Mermaid. Sapphire Mermaid Gem is cheapest and it can be sold for 1000 gold coins. Emerald Mermaid Gem costs 1 500 gold coins. Ruby Mermaid Gem is the most valuable one, it can be sold for 2 000 gold coins.
The jewels obtained from Cursed Mermaids are valued by all factions and can be sold to any merchant. In addition to gold coins, you will also receive plenty of reputation points, so you should think well which trading company you want to level up. Remember that you must remove the item from the equipment before selling it.