Arrrr! Remember the day when you ALMOST became captain Jack Sparrow - probably because you had yet to read our guide to Sea of Thieves. Here we'll teach you how to sail, hunt for treasures, fight on land and sea, and all the other skills required to become a legendary pirate.
The guide to Sea of Thieves contains all the information necessary to travel and survive in the game world while achieving the game's main objective - to become a legendary pirate, and eventually a legendary captain. The guide includes the descriptions of in-game quest-giving factions and their quests. You will learn what types of tasks there are, the mechanics of sailing, combat on sea and land, fishing and hunting, tucking, hunting for mermaid statues, and what to look out for when exploring the ocean and surrounding islands.
Quick starting tips
Before you start your adventure in Sea of Thieves, you should study the basic tips that will increase your chance of surviving in the open sea, make it easier to play solo and in a team, and help you acquire more treasures. These tips are mainly aimed at novice players.
- Creating a pirate - try to create a pirate that won't be too conspicuous. This will help you later when, for example, you want to hide on enemy ships or inside forts;
- PC controls - mouse + keyboard combo is perfect for controlling our pirate. However, if you want to use cannons or a harpoon gun it is much better to control them with the keyboard alone. Aiming the cannon with the mouse is difficult and time-consuming, especially at low DPI;
- Sailing - always try to set the sail in such a way that your ship is sailing with the wind. That way you'll get the top speed and shorten your travel time;
- Avoid obstacles - a collision with an obstacle such as a rock, a pier or another ship can lead to your ship sinking;
- Which ship to choose - for solo sailing, especially at the very beginning, choose the Sloop. It is a small and extremely maneuverable vessel with a single mast and sail making it easy to steer. Sloop enables you to travel with up to 1 additional player;
- Supplies - before embarking on any journey, make sure to prepare the right amount of supplies. In ports, you'll find many supply barrels, from which you can take fruit to replenish your health, boards needed to repair the ship's hull, as well as various types of cannonballs;
- Revival - when playing in a group, the players can revive their fallen comrades. When a character is knocked down you have exactly 15 seconds to approach and revive him (the action itself takes 5 seconds). Otherwise, their souls will end up on the Ferry of The Damned.;
- Storm warning - a storm not only reduces visibility and makes it difficult to control the ship, but can also cause significant damage to the hull of the ship, causing it to quickly start taking on water. First try to patch the holes, then pour water overboard to relieve the pressure on the ship;
- Ammo - each firearm in the game Sea of Thieves has a certain supply of ammo that needs to be replenished later. Ammunition crates can be found on every ship and in every port;
- Cannon shooting - shooting a cannon is a real art so it may take some time before you learn to aim correctly. If the target is further away from your ship, you must aim slightly upwards for the cannonball to reach the target.
FAQ - questions and answers
We answer basic questions about Sea of Thieves, e.g. whether the game is free, whether it is on Steam, whether you can play on PlayStation 4, or whether there are microtransactions in the game. This FAQ chapter is a small compendium of knowledge about the game and changes introduced by new patches.
Is Sea of Thieves free to play?
Unfortunately, Sea of Thieves is not a free game. Sea of Thieves can be purchased from the Microsoft Store and the Steam platform or played with an Xbox Game Pass or Xbox Live Gold subscription.
Is Sea of Thieves available on Steam?
Yes, Sea of Thieves is available on Steam from June 2020 so all players who want to become a pirate can buy the game on Steam and jump into the game!
Can I play Sea of Thieves on PlayStation 4?
Unfortunately, no. The game Sea of Thieves is only available for PCs running Windows 10 and Xbox One consoles. There is no official information regarding whether SoT will be available to play on Sony's console.
Are there microtransactions in Sea of Thieves?
Yes, microtransactions are present. Ancient Coins are used for shopping inside the game, with them you can buy cosmetic items and unlock other game content.
Is there a cross-play feature in Sea of Thieves?
At First, Sea of Thieves was only available on Windows 10 and Xbox One and you could play with players from both of these platforms. When the game came to Steam, Microsoft announced that this platform would also support cross-play.
Sea of Thieves - system requirements
Below are the official minimum and recommended PC system requirements for Sea of Thieves. Before you start playing, check whether you'll need to reduce the graphics settings for the FPS to be at a playable level.
Sea of Thieves - minimum system requirements
- Operating System - Windows 10;
- CPU - Intel Q9450 2.6 GHz / AMD Phenom II X6 3.3 GHz;
- RAM - 4 GB;
- Graphics Card - 1 GB GeForce GTX 650 / Radeon HD 7750 or better;
- Disk space - about 50 GB.
Sea of Thieves - recommended system requirements
- Operating System - Windows 10;
- CPU - Intel Core i5-4690 3.5 GHz / AMD FX-8150 3.6 GHz;
- RAM - 8 GB;
- Graphics Card - GeForce GTX 770 2 GB / Radeon R9 380X 4 GB or better;
- Disk space - about 50 GB.
About Sea Of Thieves Guide
Author : Dariusz "DM" Matusiak for gamepressure.com
Translator : Jakub "jbugielski" Bugielski
last update : March 20, 2018
Use the comments below to submit your updates and corrections to this guide.
Sea of Thieves Video Game
- genre: Action
- developer: Rare
- publisher: Microsoft Studios
- platform: XONE, PC
More About Sea of Thieves
If you have a PC and your friend has a PS4, that doesn't mean you can't play together. There are multiplayer crossplay games that you can still play even if you have different hardware. Here's a list of cross-platform games for 2022.
2016 has just come to an end. It’s high time we thought about what to play in 2017. Here are the top 30 picks of our editorial team.