You can play Saints Row alone, though help from your allies - Kev, Neenah and Eli, can make the experience much easier. This page of the guide explains when can the allies appear, how to unlock access to the Call for Backup and how to upgrade your companions.
- Unlocking and using Call for Backup
- Companion unavailable - why?
- Reviving companions
- Increasing stats and upgrading companions' weapons
The main characters of Saints Row - the titular Saints - are:
- the playable protagonist;
Your friends can appear during certain story missions as reinforcements or as someone you need to do a favor. You may also explore the world with them or go through optional activities together. It's possible, though not right away.
Unlocking and using Call for Backup
You can't call for allies at first. You gain access to this ability after completing the Be Your Own Boss story mission.
This mission rewards you with the Contacts app on your phone. One of its uses is Call for Backup.
Use the app, highlight the ally you wish to summon and call them. They should reach you after a while, from now on traveling around the world with you. Your companion will automatically join you in combat, fight alongside you and attack enemy vehicles during chases.
Companion unavailable - why?
In certain situations you won't be able to call for help. This can be because:
- you're currently playing through a story mission or a different activity you must do solo;
- you're driving a vehicle - leave it and then call;
- you're too close to the Saints HQ - get further away from it, then try calling;
- your companion is injured - if your ally was defeated and you didn't revive them in time, they'll be recovering from their wounds for some time.
Your allies are not immortal and can be defeated in combat. Do your best to help them if this happens.
First, clear out the enemies surrounding them. You must stand next to them and interact with them for a few seconds to revive them. If you succeed, your ally will get right back into the fray.
Increasing stats and upgrading companions' weapons
You can't change or modify your companions' equipment. Each Saint specializes in different weapons and abilities.
You can increase their combat capabilities by completing specific main missions. During the mission summary screen you can learn that:
- your companion's stats have increased - they can get more health or a damage boost;
- your companion's weapon has been upgraded - this, obviously, increases their damage potential.
Once you gain access to calling allies we recommend playing through at least a few more main missions to upgrade each of your companions once or twice. This will make them more useful and they won't die as often.