On this page of the tutorial, you will find a description of all the most important technical issues of Returnal. You'll find out whether the game fully uses the potential of the DualSense wireless controller, how much disk space does Returnal takes, whether the game supports surround sound, whether you can play in 4K at 60 FPS (frames per second) with Ray Tracing enabled.
- How much disk space?
- Graphics and loading speed
- Haptic, immersion
- 3D sound on headphones
- Online social System
How much disk space?
Returnal takes up 56 GB of disk space on PS5. The game downloads about 33 GB of data needed to run this title, and the remaining data is downloaded in the background, for example, during the game.
Graphics and loading speed
Returnal makes use of all PS5's functions, allows you to play in 4K at 60 FPS (frames per second) with Ray Tracing support, and the loading screen after the death of the character disappears in a second, so you can immediately resume the game.
In Returnal, you also have the option to enable / disable Bloom and Motion Blur, which is useful when you want to get the sharpest image possible during the game.
When creating Returnal, Housemarque cooperated with Sony, so they managed to take 100% advantage of haptics in the DualSense wireless controller.
- The controller's special vibrations allow players to immerse even deeper during gameplay, e.g. feeling raindrops;
- The speaker built into the latest Sony controller produces sounds that perfectly match what is currently happening on the screen - enhances the experience when shooting or exploring the locations;
- The adaptive triggers of the DualSense controller allow you to aim and use an alternative weapon shot with just one trigger - depending on how hard it is pressed.
3D sound on headphones
Housemarque has also been able to take full advantage of the PS5's 3D sound, so it's recommended to play the game using headphones to immerse even more and fully experience Selene's story.
Online social System
Although there is no multiplayer mode in Returnal, Housemarque managed to create a social system for online gameplay (the system can be turned on or off in the game options), which allows you to find other players ' projections on the planet Atropos, unlocks optional battles in the challenge terminal, and it also allows using special pedestals that store the resources deposited by players.
For more information, please visit the following pages:
- Multiplayer and social features;
- Challenge terminal.