Return to Monkey Island: Get the 5 keys for the safe - walkthrough Return to Monkey Island walkthrough
Finding the 5 keys to the safe is the main task of part 4 of Return to Monkey Island game. From our walkthrough you will learn how to start the search for the golden keys, how to get the map of the archipelago and how to cross the Parallel.
Last update: Thursday, September 29, 2022
This page of the guide focuses on the most important objective of Chapter 4 of Return to Monkey Island - obtaining 5 golden keys to unlock the safe containing the secret of Monkey Island. Our guide will help with locating the safe and how to learn about the need for keys, how to get the map of the sea and how to use it properly, how to avoid the blockade at the Parallel and how correctly put the obtained golden keys to use.
- Get to the Voodoo Shop right away
- Get the five keys for the safe
- Get a map of the sea
- World map - archipelago exploration
- 19th Parallel - how to cross and get north?
- Using the 5 keys to open the safe - the end of the chapter
Get to the Voodoo Shop right away
Chapter 4 of the game begins with your return to Melee Island onboard the ship you've rebuilt on Monkey Island. In the meantime, the entire archipelago fell victim to an earthquake and there are a number of notable changes to the island ( among others, a new store appears), which you'll learn about in due time.
The first task is to return to the Voodoo Shop , which is located on Low Street - you have to go right, passing the destroyed Scumm Bar by on your way. Enter the shop and talk to the voodoo priestess .
Get the five keys for the safe
You learn that the secret is hidden in a safe in the voodoo shop on Melee Island . Opening it requires 5 Golden Keys . Getting the golden keys is the most complex task in the game. In order to obtain each of the keys, you will need to visit a number of locations and complete various puzzles. The walkthroughs for indiviudal keys can be found on separate pages of the walkthrough :
- Widey's Golden Key
- Old Mrs. Smith Golden Key .
- Bella Fisher's Golden Key
- Brrr Muda Island Golden Key
- Terror Island Golden Key
You can pick up the search for any of the keys at any moment. Moreover, obtaining them involves certain events and actions that can bring you closer to getting another key.
Get a map of the sea
After leaving the voodoo store, you'll be accosted by Widey Bones, an old lady who as it turns out, has one of the golden keys (she won't part with it for now) and you can ask her about the owners of the keys and approximate locations where you can find them
To be able to travel freely across the archipelago, you need a map of the sea . To get it, pay a visit toWally's Maps-n-More . As a reminder, the cartographer can be found opposite the voodoo shop on Melee Island's Low Street. Ask Wally for the Map of the Sea and you will get it for free.
World map - archipelago exploration
Return to Guybrush's ship. Thanks to the map of the sea, you can travel to different islands.
1) Melee Island - your starting point. Melee Island itself is worth exploring again, as things have changed a bit here compared to Chapter 1.
2) Scurvy Island - Guybrush must find Elaine here.
3) Terror Island - an inhospitable island where one of the golden keys have been hidden.
4) Barebones Island - a small islet where you can find Ned, who is hiding from Stan.
5) 19th Parallel - This is the parallel where you will be stopped. The actions needed to be free to travel north are described in the next section of the walkthrough.
6) Brrr Muda Island - an icy island characteristic for its large number of inhabitants. Here you'll get involved in a plot to get the golden key and meet Stan.
7) Adrift Ship - a place of quarantine for the crew of this ship. Convincing them to take the medicine is a part of the quest to get the Bella Fisher's Golden Key.
8) LeChuck's Ship - LeChuck's Ship will appear on the world map only after you have advanced enough in the chapter. Guybrush can explore it without restrictions this time, i.e. he won't be thrown out by undead pirates.
During the search for Bella Fisher's Golden Key, an X symbol will also appear on the map of the archipelago, symbolizing the shipwreck , but first, you need to solve the puzzle to learn of this location (randomized).
19th Parallel - how to cross and get north?
If you try to cross the 19th Parallel, you will be stopped by the judge making it unable for you to reach Brrr Muda Island.
Travel to Scurvy Island and after viewing its map, reach the camp .
Find Elaine's Note in the camp.
The content of the note contains information about Elaine's whereabouts - the location is random with each playthrough. In our example, the note said that Elaine works east of the waterfall and south of the lake, and as a result, we located the area to be the Lime Grove (screenshot above)
If you've guessed the location successfully, you should find Elaine there. She will give you a flyer (Elaine's Scurvy Flyer) which has to be delivered to a certain location which is a part of the quest to get Bella Fisher's Golden Key.
You can ask Elaine for Limes, and you'll receive a few of them for free.
Travel beyond 19th Parallel to be stopped. The judge will tell you that you have to transport limes and you should already have them in your inventory after visiting Scurvy Island.
You must also complete the customs form correctly :
- You can choose any name you like - it will only affect what you will be called while on Brrr Muda Island.
- Mark position 5 (transporting limes).
- Select the truthfulness statement - this is the last item (picture above).
- Sign at the bottom of the form .
It is important not to check other boxes , but if you make a mistake, you can repeat the puzzle by revisiting the Parallel. You will be let through and you can stop at Brrr Muda Island as many times as you like (there will be no more stops at sea).
Using the 5 keys to open the safe - the end of the chapter
After you have collected all 5 keys, return to Melee Island and head again to the voodoo shop on Low Street. Once inside, use all of the keys on the safe . You don't have to search for the right slot - simply always choose the safe with each equipped key.
Now you only have to watch a few cutscenes and go through a few (irrelevant) dialogue options. Chapter 5 of Return to Monkey Island begins now .