Return to Monkey Island: Chapters - list of all Return to Monkey Island walkthrough
Return to Monkey Island is divided into parts, which can also be called chapters. This page of the guide lists all the chapters and their associated walkthrough pages.
Last update: Wednesday, October 26, 2022
On this page of our Return to Monkey Island walkthrough, you can find a list of all Chapters or, so as the game names them, Parts. We've divided the walkthrough according to the parts, and each part received one or more solution pages. Moreover, we answer whether the order of completing the parts is imposed from above.
All Parts - chapters
Prelude - An Unexpected Story Begins
- Prologue - This is an introduction to the actual adventure, in which the protagonists are Boybrush and his friend Chuckie. The heroes must, e.g. get a Scurvydogs snack and find the parents.
Part 1 - A Friendly Place
- Meeting the Pirate Leaders - This is the beginning of your adventure as Guybrush Threepwood. The main character returns to the island of Melee in the hope of completing the crew and stopping LeChuck. You need to talk to the Pirate Leaders.
- Getting the mop - This is the first main goal of the chapter. You have to build a mop and it requires you to get the handle and the tip, as well as solve the puzzles about apologizing to Governor Carla and use the Mop Tree map in the forest.
- Get a disguise - Obtaining a disguise is the second main objective of the chapter. You need Jon Laney's Eyepatch and our walkthrough explains where to find the item, how to steal it and how to give it special properties.
Part 2 - A Dangerous Journey
- Sail to Monkey Island - This is the beginning of your stay on LeChuck's ship. Guybrush needs to get out of the Load, get a Flattened Skull, find an alternative way to get to Monkey Island and steal a map from LeChuck's quarters.
- Get a unanimous vote - Our walkthrough explains how to convince 5 pirates to vote for you - these are Iron Rose, Flair Gorey, Putra, Flambe and Apple Bob. You will also learn about solving the puzzles of finding 5 items for the report and delivering Murray to the second ship.
Part 3 - Return to Monkey Island
- Follow LeChuck's map to the Secret - This page describes how to get to the shores of the Monkey Island and how to correctly follow the X mark according to the directions from LeChuck's map. We have also created a map of Monkey Island with important locations.
- Learn LeChuck's secrets - Our walkthrough explains how to get a new disguise and re-infiltrate the undead pirate ship, as well as how to find out what are LeChuck's favorite food, theme song and catchphrase.
- Decode the map - We have included locations of 7 skulls on Monkey Island. We also explain how to complete the ritual of reading the map's real secret and how to repair Guybrush's ship and return to Melee Island.
Part 4 - Things Get Complicated
- Get the 5 keys for the safe - This page explains where to find the Secret on Melee Island, what are the rules for collecting the Golden Keys, how to get the map of the archipelago and what are its main locations.
- Widey's Golden Key - We explain how to obtain the Golden Key of the old woman Widey Bones, which was stolen by Iron Rose.
- Old Mrs. Smith Golden Key Old Mrs. Smith Golden Key - this page is dedicated to Old Mrs. Smith Golden Key - we show how to get it with help from Locke Smith and the Judge from Brrr Muda Island.
- Bella Fisher's Golden Key - Here's how to obtain 3 items required to find the Bella Fisher shipwreck: these are the flag from the quarantined ship, the flag from the museum and the flag from the Cod's Wallop gift shop.
- Golden Key Brrr Muda Island - this page is dedicated to Brrr Muda Golden Key - the quest for it involves finding the Ice Queen and winning 3 trials: Contest of Intelligence, Contest of Seriousness, and Contest of Heartiness.
- Golden Key Terror Island - here we show how to obtain a light source and how to successfully cross the Maze. The final part involves getting the key from Herman by force.
Part 5 - Beneath the Monkey Head
- Finding LeChuck - the pursuit for LeChuck involves solving 4 puzzles. Here we explain how to open 3 Stone Doors and how to complete a major puzzle involving the Code Wheel.
- Opening the chest and ending - time to open the chest containing the Secret of the Monkey Island. We also show the possible endings (if there is more than one) and what additional content is unlocked after completing the story.
Order of missions - is it imposed?
You must complete the chapters in the order specified by the developers , i.e. the prologue (Prelude), and Chapters 1-5. As the chapter starts, a message appears on the screen telling you that it begins.
Nevertheless, you have some freedom when completing further steps inside a chapter - there is no strictly defined sequence of actions. You may have a few different mission objectives active and you can complete them in any order. However, you need to clear all objectives from Guybrush's journal in order to push the plot forward.