Part 3 of Return to Monkey Island starts with the search for the Secret of Monkey Island. The walkthrough in our guide tells you how to read LeChuck's map and how to get to the location with the treasure - the X drawn on it. In addition, we have created the map of Monkey Island with the main locations marked on it.
Reaching the shore of the Monkey Island
Part 2 ended with Guybrush being thrown overboard LeChuck's ship and you will begin underwater.
You have to go right and every time you switch to a new screen, the game will jump 2 minutes. In total, you will have 3 such jumps, so 8 minutes of air is enough for you, because there are no mandatory activities on the way (you can only find collectable cards). You will reach the Monkey Island beach.
Map of Monkey Island
On the beach, there is a passage to the main map of the island and, similarly to Melee Island, you can choose its interactive areas:
1) Beach - This is where you start exploring the Monkey Island.
2) Red Berry Bush - Here you have to search for the Secret by following the clues from LeChuck's map.
3) Volcano Beach - It is a separate part of the beach adjacent to LeChuck's ship.
4) LeChuck's Ship - You can return to it by diving and reaching the anchor. Later, you can choose this place from the island map.
5) Mighty Volcano - The volcano cannot be visited.
6) The View - This is a vantage point with a few minor interactions.
7) Shipwreck - This is the wreckage of Guybrush's old ship. At the end of part 3, you will use it to leave the island.
8) Giant Monkey Head - The pirate leaders reside here. The ritual of deciphering the Secret map is done in this location.
Follow LeChuck's map to the Secret
Your current mission objective is to find the Secret of Monkey Island - the LeChuck's map you have stolen from his cabin in part 2 will lead to it.
You can select the map from the inventory and check the objectives list. It should be noted that its elements may be random, i.e. they can look different from those in the picture above.
The general assumptions are always the same - you have to start at point 1 on the map, i.e. reach the jungle. In our example, it was the Red Berry Bush location.
In each new location you visit, you must read the next clue on the map to recognize the correct path. In our example, these were:
- the path next to the stone monkey hand - point 2 in our picture;
- the path next to the wooden chicken - point 3 from our picture;
- the path next to the bees and the warning sign - point 4 in our picture.
If you correctly read the information from the map, you will reach the location with the X drawn on the ground. Try to pick up the Shovel.
You will fall into a trap set by Pirate Leaders. They have the real Secret Map, but cannot read it.
Leaders need information about LeChuck - his favorite food, theme song and a catchphrase. We described the way of learning these things on the next page of the walkthrough - Learn LeChuck's secrets.