You'll find the Defiler in Yaesha, on the Forgotten Field. This page of our guide to Remnant 2 describes how to fight it and what rewards you'll acquire.
Defiler - boss description
The Defiler doesn't appear on the arena right away. First, you must destroy the Root Nexus one of the priests is trapped in (we've described this boss fight on a separate page). You can talk to him first or shoot him right away, it doesn't really matter.
Shooting the Root Nexus and draining its health gradually spawns waves of enemies. It's also worth mentioning the boss is an Aberration, meaning it can have random suffixes that significantly change the fight.
- Reinforcements - attacking the Root Nexus will eventually cause it to cry out. This summons a wave of increasingly more powerful enemies.
- Burying and shooting - once the Defiler appears, it will start burying itself in the ground, shooting projectiles in random directions. They'll explode some time after hitting something, dealing high damage.
- Melee - when the Defiler gets close, it starts clawing and biting. It can attack once or twice.
- Tail swing - a horizontal swing performed at short and medium range.
How to fight the Defiler?
The most important tip is not to try and kill the Root Nexus quickly! If you focus fire on it, you'll keep spawning new enemy waves, eventually overwhelming you with sheer numbers. When Root Nexus cries out, stop attacking and focus on the reinforcements. Repeat until its health drops to zero.
As for the spawned enemies, most of them are small flying copies of Mother Mind. Later waves include more powerful fliers, the regular Shrewd and a durable enemy capable of a damaging ground pound. The arena is large, so you don't need to stick to a single spot.
Killing the Root Nexus spawns the Defiler. Treat it like a regular enemy encountered earlier in Yaesha. The additional suffix abilities are the only real surprises here.
For example, while it's healing, the Defiler can glitch out the image and teleport us about a meter away from it, making it difficult to get your bearings. Keep focusing on its red core, its weak spot.
Defeating the Defiler rewards you with:
- Reinvigorate Mutator,
- Rugged Trait (if you've exhausted the priest's dialogue),
- Laemir Censer Amulet (if you've exhausted the priest's dialogue),
- Scrap x300.