The level of difficulty in Outward is unlike most modern games. Battles in the game are challenging and require staying on the ball at all times. Your character must eat, drink and sleep, and failure to meet these needs leads to dangerous consequences. In addition, the game doesn't show mission markers or even the position of your character on the map. The system of game-saving also contributes to the level of difficulty, so you should learn a bit about it as well.
Can I load a save game?
Short answer - the game doesn't allow loading savegames. For each character, a record (save) is created, and the game is saved automatically, so you do not have the opportunity to change their actions. For example, if you are dead and lost all items, you have no way to repeat the battle.
Can I reverse a game save on PC?
Although there's no 'load' option, the users of PC can (unlike users of PS4 or XONE) reverse a save game. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open the Outward root folder (with the game install files). The default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\External.
- Then go to the folder named SaveGames\[string of numbers]\Save_[random characters].
- There, you will find folders marked with dates - these are the automatically save games created for your character.
- By the folders, you can cancel the saves of the game. For example, if there are folders marked with dates from March 29, March 30 and March 31, deleting the folder from March 31, you will move back to the save of the game from March 30.
- After deleting some folders, you can start the game. The corresponding saves will be canceled.