This page of the Oddworld Soulstorm guide contains the first part of the walkthrough of The Ruins mission (second level). Our walkthrough tells you how to use chanting, how to avoid the first Sligs, how to use possession and how to disarm slap mines.
Additional note: The green color in this walkthrough stands for secrets and unique locations/activities associated with the badges (challenges) in the game. Mission 2 badges have been described on a separate page of the guide.
Find the others
Move to the right and get acquainted with the tutorial of chanting located by the Story Stone. To do it, hold L2. Chi Orb will spawn and you'll be able to control it with the left analog stick.
Chanting has several uses, and in this case we are talking about using Chi Orb to reach triangular bell-like objects similar to the one marked in the picture. Activating the bell unlocks a new passage. This ability must be used again by the second bell to unlock the lower gate as well.
After reaching the checkpoint, you must begin to sneak (holding L1) in order to avoid detection by the Sligs from the lower shelves. All enemies react to sounds that are nullified by stealth. The important information is that Abe can jump and descend without having to exit stealth mode. If the enemies have been alerted, then wait on the top shelf until they return to the blue state (Calm).
Approach the sleeping Slig. You can test two very important actions here:
- Pickpocket - in this case, you will need a rope, but later in the game it will be other loot as well.
- Tie - this method works on sleeping and stunned Sligs, but only if we have at least 1 piece of rope. This way we can get rid of the enemy without killing them.
After eliminating the first Slig, let's jump to the right shelf to get the secret Royal Jelly. We cannot stun the second (active) Slig. Let's wait until he goes to the right, then jump on the shelf with him and run to the left. Sprint combined with a quick jump down should protect Abe from receiving any damage.
Let's not go left towards the checkpoint yet, just continue reaching the lower shelves. The destination is the open gate marked on the image.
After reaching the gate, Abe can use a passage and we will move to a secret area. Investigating this secret location will allow us to obtain another secret Royal Jelly.
We can now leave this place and return to the area with the single Slig. Let's go to the left to the checkpoint and after activating it, destroy the first crates with brew bottles.
We will reach an area with a closed gate, a Slig and a bell. Let's use chanting and guide the Chi Orb to the bell. We can get rid of the Slig in two ways:
- Throw the brew bottle into the fire - this will set the Slig on fire once it gets closer to the fire.
- Use possession on Slig - we need to use chanting and direct the Chi Orb towards the enemy. After taking control of the Slig, we can stun it (press L2 once) or make it explode (hold L2).
Keep going left. In the new area, we're gonna have to sneak again, because there's a group of Sligs in here. The suggested path is shown in the above picture.
- Initially, use stealth all the time and descend to the lower shelves when the surrounding Slig is facing in the opposite direction.
- At the very bottom, we use a brew bottle to light a fire and set the Slig on fire. After the situation calms down, we extinguish the area with water bottles and reach the secret Royal Jelly marked on the picture. It is also a secret area.
- We need to get to the top left exit now. Unfortunately, it is likely that other Sligs may have stopped patrolling the area. Use brew bottles to "encourage" them to resume patrol and set fire to 1-2 enemies (it's best to approach Sligs from behind).
- Avoid the left upper enemy and climb when he is not looking at Abe. Quickly jump to the top shelf to leave this place.
In the next area, the game will offer a tutorial on the use of possession. We start by using chanting to activate the left bell. We can now start targeting the Chi Orb directly at our enemies. We can perform several actions with each enemy we have possessed:
- Moving / activating levers etc.
- Use of Slig's weapons - we can kill other Sligs this way, but we have to bear in mind that they will return fire.
- Stun the possessed Slig - this allows us to sneak past the Slig or reach it and tie it up (elimination without killing).
- Blowing up a possessed Slig - a possessed enemy commits a spectacular suicide.
We can use whatever techniques we want to get through this location.
Keep moving to the left. Stop in the place from picture 1. Abe can do a little climbing here. After reaching the secret higher shelf, you will discover a Secret Area and a Royal Jelly secret.
Go back down and move on. In the next location, you have to solve a simple bell puzzle:
- We use chanting and direct the Chi Orb to the upper right area. There will be a Slig that we must possess.
- After taking control of the Slig, we order him to pull the lever. It'll unlock the top left hole. We can end the possession in any way (stun or kill).
- Send the Chi Orb again, but this time to the bell. Activating it will unlock the lower passageway.
You'll encounter a single Slig to the left of the checkpoint, but we can not use the possession, because chanting is blocked by the Chant Suppressor. The solution to this problem is to throw a brew bottle at the Slig in order to set it on fire.
There is a group of Sligs in the area to the left of this place, but dealing with them is paradoxically easier. We can use possession now. Let's use this technique to blow up Sligs, to make them attack each other, or to stun and tie them (if more than 1 occupies the same shelf, then let's jump down to the lower one).