The following guide to NiOh 2 contains a comprehensive set of tips and information about the second installment of the soulslike game series that was launched in 2017. NiOh 2 was developed by the Team Ninja Studio. In our guide you can find basic information that will help you to successfully complete this title and delve into 16th century Japan.
The guide is divided into four parts. The first one is a complete walkthrough for the game. Inside, you'll find walkthroughs for all main and side missions that appear in the game. Moreover, this part of the guide contains descriptions for all boss encounters. Among them, you'll find Mezuki - a powerful horse, or catlike Kasha.
The second part of the guide answers questions that may arise during the game. Among others, you'll discover how to heal your hero and where to get the items needed for healing. You will also learn the in-game mechanics you can use at a shrine, such as Bazaar and Kodama blessings. This section also has a page on how to get gold. You can also learn how long it will take you to complete the game.
Third part of this guide contains a description of the mechanics implemented in the game. This section contains a variety of information regarding basic and more advanced elements of the game You will learn about, for example, the character creation process and see what abilities you can develop. You will also find information about Yokai Shift, and discover the role of death.The final part of the guide is an annex which contains a trophy guide and control layouts.
- NiOh 2 in a nutshell
- 5 starting tips
- Is NiOh 2 coming to PC?
- Is there a multiplayer in NiOh 2?
- Does NiOh 2 offers a tutorial?
- Can I play NiOh 2 without the Internet connection?
- Items rarity
- NiOh 2 - age category
- Can I change the difficulty level?
- Is NiOh 2 a challenging and difficult game?
- NiOh 2 - Game Editions
- NiOh 2 - controls
NiOh 2 in a nutshell
The story depicted in NiOh 2 shows the events that took place before the story presented in the first installment. Once again, you're going to return to an alternative version of Japan from the Sengoku period (XV-XVI century). Apart from wars, this country is also plagued by yokai, that is, demons and monsters deriving from the local mythology.
NiOh 2 expands the mechanics known from the previous part of the series - while observing the action from the third person's perspective, you focus mainly on fighting opponents, among which you will also find powerful bosses.
During the combat you will mainly use melee weapons. However, you will also find some ranged and projectile-based firearms in this title. While taking part in the battles you should carefully watch the movements of your enemies, use quick evasive moves and launch instant counterattacks. In addition, NiOh 2 also introduces the possibility of turning into Yokai, which unlocks access to new skills.
5 starting tips
- Watch out for the stamina bar - The stamina bar in NiOh 2 is very important. In fact, it is the one the player should focus on the most. Without stamina, you can't attack, dodge, or block. In addition, if the enemy attacks you when you are low on stamina and you block the attack, you will be immobilized for a short time.
- Perform Ki pulses as often as possible - Ki pulses are an important mechanic that allows you to restore a significant portion of your stamina during combat. In addition, it also has other properties depending on whether the player has improved this mechanic (the ability to clear a wider Yokai area, attack buff after a perfect Ki pulse). There are two ways to do them well. The first way is to look at the stamina bar (green). When the empty section of the bar gets full, press the button responsible for the Ki pulse (R1). However, if you don't want to lose sight of your opponents, the second way is to watch the blue sparks surrounding your character. Once you see a significant number of them, press R1 to restore your stamina.
- Restore your Anima - Anima is a new bar that is responsible for using the Yokai skills acquired during the game. Amina can be obtained by attacking opponents, using special items, and using Yokai cores. These skills will help you come out alive even from the biggest troubles, but they need Anima.
- Use long-range weapons whenever you can! - A bow, rifle, and hand cannon are perfect for this. Always aim at the weak spots. In the case of human opponents, this is the head (if you shoot from a bow, and the enemy wears a helmet, then the first shot will always deal no damage). While fighting a Yokai, you should aim at the spots where Amrita is visible.
- Counter red attacks with the Yokai form! Burst Counter is a technique designed for countering such attacks. When you see that your opponent is glowing red, it means that they are about to perform a powerful attack. However, you can use Burst Counter (R2 + circle) to counter it. If we use it at the right time, the player will deal massive Ki damage. However, this technique is worth one Anima point.
Check this page to learn more about the gameplay.
Is NiOh 2 coming to PC?
On the day of its release, NiOh 2 will be available only for PlayStation 4. The PC version has not been officially announced. The previous part of the series was also released on the Sony console first. An edition for PC was released a few months later. Therefore, it is possible that NiOh 2 will share the same fate.
Is there a multiplayer in NiOh 2?
In NiOh 2 you can have fun in a co-op mode that can be played by up to three players. To activate the coop mode, approach any shrine found in the game world. When you interact with it, you can summon another player into your game. On the other hand, if you decide to play alone, you can take advantage of friendly spirits controlled by artificial intelligence. You can summon them by placing blue swords in the ground.
Does NiOh 2 offers a tutorial?
Yes. You can enter the tutorial after each death. Once you enter it, you can train as long as you see fit. When you decide to leave the tutorial, you'll spawn next to the last shrine you've activated.
Can I play NiOh 2 without the Internet connection?
Yes, you don't need an Internet connection to play the story campaign.
There are a number of items in NiOh 2. Some of them will be given as a reward for completing a mission. The rest of them are dropped by killed enemies or found in chests scattered around the world. The game has items rarity system which uses five color:
- white - common
- yellow - uncommon
- blue - rare
- purple - legendary
- green - divine
NiOh 2 - age category
NiOh 2 contains a lot of bloody combat. As a result, the game is an adult-only (18+) game. This means that the game is not intended for a younger audience.
Can I change the difficulty level?
NiOh 2 is a rather challenging game. It is characterized by a high entry level that is kept throughout the entire game. All thanks to the advanced artificial intelligence of your opponents and extensive combat mechanics that require you to master many different moves. Since the game is intentionally hard, it doesn't offer the option to change the difficulty level.
Is NiOh 2 a challenging and difficult game?
Like the previous part of the series, NiOh 2 is a game similar to the Dark Souls genre. In other words, this means that this title has a quite high level of difficulty, especially during combat.
NiOh 2 - Game Editions
Apart from the basic version of NiOh 2, the developers have also prepared two special editions. Their contents are as follows:
It is available in a physical version and in addition to a copy of the game (including the season pass) it includes a steelbook and artbook.
Deluxe Digital Edition
This edition can only be purchased digitally. This edition includes the following items and bonuses:
- The season pass,
- Demon Horde weapons,
- Kodama Netsuke charm,
- A PS4 theme,
- PSN avatar set for PS4.
If you pre-order the game before the official release, you will receive the following bonuses:
- Demon Horde armor set,
- Sudama Netsuke Amulet,
- A PS4 theme,
- PSN avatar set for PS4.
NiOh 2 - controls
Control plays an important role in soulslike productions. Below you will find the basic control scheme.
Evade / Dodge
About NiOh 2 Guide
Author : Agnieszka "aadamus" Adamus & Dawid "DavideLi" Lubczynski for gamepressure.com
Translator : Filip "Mithgandir" Liebert
Use the comments below to submit your updates and corrections to this guide.
NiOh 2 Video Game
- genre: RPG
- developer: Team Ninja
- publisher: Koei Tecmo
- platform: PS4
More About NiOh 2: The Complete Edition
The Dark Souls series is famous for its hellishly high difficulty, which requires, above all, patience. Games inspired by Dark Souls are trying to emulate that, with various results. Here's our list rating souls-like games from easiest to hardest.
The dry spell is over! March will bring an expansion to The Division 2, test our patience with Ori and the Will of the Wisps and NiOh 2, and then let us vent off killing demons in Doom Eternal – and that's just the tip of the iceberg!
It's time to make an overview of the most anticipated RPGs of 2020. This year will be filled with various types of role-playing titles. Anyway, we already know what you are waiting for.
At the end of 2020 we will welcome the new generation of consoles, PS5 and new Xbox. Therefore, the coming months will be one of the last of PS4. PlayStation will say goodbye to us with big hits.