This page of the guide answers whether NieR Automata can run on PS5. We also explain if there are any compatibility issues with PlayStation 5.
- NieR Automata was originally released on PS4 - it also works on PS4 Pro. The game is compatible with PS5, i.e. you can start and finish it on PlayStation 5.
- NieR Automata does not have the so-called next-gen patch, i.e. a special update dedicated to PS5. If you run the game on PlayStation 5, it will work in backward compatibility mode, the same as on the PS4 Pro - in 1080p and 60 frames per second. Running the game in 4K will cause the image to be upscaled from 1080p to 4K meaning it may seem a bit blurry. Unfortunately, the game doesn't have reduced loading times - even if you have a high-speed SSD for your PS5, the loading times will usually take a dozen seconds or so.
- The lack of graphical improvements makes the game look quite bad in some scenes. Especially the textures have visibly low resolution. A better effect can be achieved on PC with the use of appropriate mods or the update from July 2021.
- The game can take up to 52.6 GB on a PS5 drive - that's the size of the Game of the YoRHa Edition that comes with additional content. The PlayStation 5 edition updates to version 1.06 (as of July 2021).
- NieR Automata offers stable framerate on PS5. We did not notice any stuttering. The game has a propensity to crash - we experienced this several times during the several dozen hours of total play time. An additional complication in this case is that the game does not have autosaves. You need to remember to save it manually as often as possible (fortunately, the game has quick saves).