This page of the Mr. Prepper guide explains what game settings can be changed if your game doesn't run smoothly/you have an older PC or a laptop.
Mr. Prepper is not a particularly demanding game. However, if you are experiencing performance issues, there are options that will improve performance without significantly lowering the quality of visual effects.
- Resolution: resolution should match the native resolution for your monitor. The game will select it automatically the first time you launch it.
- Full screen: the game cannot run on borderless full screen. If you disable this option, you will play in a windowed mode.
- FPS limit: use it if you are not using V-Sync.
- V-Sync: V-Sync is meant to eliminate tearing and stabilize the FPS number in the game. Do not use it if you are using a different sync technology or if you have a monitor that works at a frequency higher than 60Hz (and you can guarantee a constant FPS number compatible with the frequency).
- Brightness: changes the screen brightness in the game, the default value is 1.6.
- Antialiasing: smoothing the edges. The image is more pleasing to the eye by eliminating the effect of jagged edges of objects. It doesn't significantly affect performance.
- Additional antialiasing: further improves the edge smoothing effect - the difference is still visible, so it is worth using this option.
- Depth of field: slightly affects FPS, but the effect is not clearly visible - you can turn it off if you have optimization issues.
- Ambient occlusion: introduces more realistic lighting effects. Usually, it seriously affects processing load, but it's not the case in Mr. Prepper.
- Ambient shadowing: like occlusion, it affects lightning for the entire visible area, but not the details of the surroundings; it does not significantly affect processing load.
- Bloom: affects the lighting effects, does not significantly affect processing load. You will usually see the difference in intense light (from a flashlight or at sunset).
- Shadow quality: may affect GPU usage. Shadows in this game are especially visible in the forest.
- Texture quality: affects the graphics card load. 4 GB is the recommended memory. If you have less and you have problems with game stability, lower this parameter.
- Detail level: affects the number of objects in the background. Especially noticeable when exploring locations. If you have performance issues outside the house, lower this parameter.
To sum up: additional antialiasing, shadow quality and ambient occlusion have the greatest influence on performance.