On this page of the tutorial you will learn how to ride a Wyvern in Monster Hunter Rise. We explain what a Mounter Punisher is, describe the controls while riding a monster and present some helpful tips.
Riding a Wyvern - what is it about?
Riding The Wyvern is a new mechanic introduced in Monster Hunter Rise, which allows you to mount the monster and control it for a limited time. This technique replaces the climb on the back of a large opponent from previous installments of the game.
Once the monster has been brought into a suitable state, in which you can mount it, you will be able to jump on its back, gaining full control over it. The clock at the bottom of the screen shows the time left to ride a Wyvern. Do not worry, there is enough of it even to go over the whole region! On the back of the monster you will be able to go almost everywhere, as they are quite mobile. They can climb rocks and jump from high precipices.
When you mount a monster, you can damage it by smashing it into a nearby wall. Remember, however, that when the monster is knocked out, you must press B at the right moment to regain balance on its back. Otherwise, the ride will come to an end.
A monster under your control can also attack other large monsters in the area. This technique allows the initial weakening of a powerful opponent.
How do I mount the monster?
To jump on the monster's back, you need to bring it into rideable state. This can be done in several ways:
- Deal damage with Silkbugs - Run to the monster and draw your weapon. Attack it with silkbugs. Such attacks can be recognized by the number of damage points highlighted in blue. If the monster is not yet sufficiently exhausted, repeat the attack;
- Use A Puppet Spider - it belongs to the local life form. You can find it in any hunting region. Pick it up and select it from the item bar. Approach the monster and use the spider, which will shoot cobweb at it, instantly making the monster rideable;
- Let 2 big monsters fight each other - Lure one monster to another and wait until they deal enough damage to themselves. Be nearby to quickly reach the monster when the red icon appears above it.
A monster in a rideable state will be knocked to the ground, and a red icon will appear above its head. Approach it and press A to jump on its back.
Attacking other monsters while riding the Wyvern fills the bar at the bottom of the screen. When you fully fill the bar, you will be able to unleash a powerful attack called Mounter Punisher. Get close to your opponent and press X A to deal a lot of damage.
After a few seconds, it will start to decrease. So remember to use the Mounter Punisher attack at the right time!
Moving the monster (hold R moving left analog stick)
Activate the Mounter Punisher (when the Wyvern ride bar is full)
Launch the monster into the wall
- At the beginning of the hunt, select the main target to kill or capture. Find another monster in the region, mount it and proceed to your target. Deal a few strong blows to activate the Mounter Punisher and hit it with the greatest force. A weakened monster will be easier to defeat.
- After unlocking the Mounter Punisher, the monster you are riding cannot be knocked out. You will have a few seconds to press the X A combination before the bar is depleted. Use this moment to attack the target monster with regular blows. This way you can deal a lot of extra damage before releasing the Mounter Punisher.
- When fighting with a large monster, you'll rip off parts of its body. When 2 monsters fight each other, the number of parts that are torn off increases significantly. You can use this if you care about collecting the materials necessary to make the equipment.
- Launching one monster at the other will stun them both, making the monster you just targeted rideable. Use this moment to jump on the back of another monster and continue the battle.
- There are usually several large monsters available in the hunting area. Monsters other than mission targets leave this area every approximately 20 minutes and are replaced by others. Such monsters have a low rideability threshold. So catch another monster and travel to the goal of the mission to reload the Wyvern ride bar and unlock a powerful attack.