The Mother Base is the headquarters of the Diamond Dogs and it's an integral part of Metal Gear Solid V. During the game, you have to remember about constantly developing your base and managing the resources. This will give you access to new devices and support during your missions. You don't need to go back to the base every time you want to make a change. You can do it any time you want, by choosing Mother Base tab in your Idroid. Then, you can give orders or check how are things in the base from distance. However, you have to visit Mother Base when:
- you want to complete a mission that takes place on one of the platforms (for example shooting the targets) or talk to one of the important NPCs (Emmerich, Quiet and others)
- you have to protect it from another player's attack
- you want to explore it and for example take a shower or gather diamonds located in various parts of the base
- you want to improve the morale of your people (you just need to approach the Diamond Dogs), which will prevent them from causing trouble or leaving the base.
Another very important element of Mother Base are things that you can use to make the game easier. You have to make sure that you obtain more and more. These are:
- Human resources - Members of the Diamond Dogs work on various platforms of Mother Base (more on that later). You can obtain new recruits automatically, as you progress through the game (they show up in the base). Moreover, you can make your enemies work for you by Fultoning them to the base or rescue hostages. As you progress through the campaign, look for more qualified personnel, which means rank A or higher.
- GMP - It is the currency in the game world, which you need to fund your missions and research projects. Look for tips on how to gather and spend GMP in the FAQ chapter of the walkthrough.
- Resources - You need them for research projects and for developing your base. At the beginning of the game, look for small boxes with resources. After you unlock CARGO 2 upgrade, you can search for large containers that you can Fulton to Mother Base. Every container contains several hundred to several thousand units of a given type of resources.
There are seven platforms in Mother Base, all with different uses. The game unlocks the platforms automatically as you progress through the campaign. However, to further develop them, you have to pay. You can develop each platform up to level 4. The platforms are:
- Command Platform - Developing this one increases the personnel limit in Mother Base.
- Combat Unit Platform - The personnel from this platform can be sent to Dispatch missions (more on that below the list of platforms).
- R&D Platform - It is a very important one, which is responsible for research projects and unlocking new pieces of equipment.
- Base Development Platform - The personnel from this platform gathers resources.
- Support Platform - Thanks to this platform, you can use support during your missions.
- Intel Platform - The personnel from this platform provides you with information during your missions (marking enemies, resources, etc.)
- Medical Platform - The task of the personnel from this platform is to heal wounded allies and increase the chance of safely extracting injured people during missions.
Later in the game, you unlock Dispatch Missions. There are quite unusual, because you don't play them by yourself. Instead, you send your allies to complete them. Doing this is a very good way to increase your funds, gather resources or new recruits. Dispatch Missions divide into unique (marked with a yellow dot and located at the top of the list) and the ones that can be repeated many times. Unique missions are more difficult and take more time (sometimes even a few hours), but offer better rewards. Moreover, for completing all the unique tasks, you obtained the Deployment achievement/trophy. No matter what type of the mission, don't send people to complete if the success probability is below 90-95%.
After you complete mission 22 (defending the Mother Base), you can build your first F.O.B (Forward Operating Base). The task of this facility is to support Mother Base development so that you can build new platforms and invent new devices faster. The first F.O.B is free, but for the next ones you have to pay with Motherbase Coins. MBC can be bought for real money (microtransactions), or obtained in the game. They are obtained mainly for logging to the game everyday, but it's not a lot, so you have to be prepared for gathering points for a long period before you buy new F.O.Bs.
A very important information connected to Forward Operating Bases is that they are a part of the multiplayer mode. You can attack other player's bases to steal resources or personnel. Of course, other players can attack you too. In both cases, you can go to F.O.B and lead an attack or defend your base (if you ignore an enemy attack, you will lose some of your resources). Before an attack from other player occurs, you can build additional defensive systems in F.O.B and decide how many people should guard the base.