S rank is the highest rank that can be obtained for completing a mission in Metal Gear Solid V. It's a form of distinction for acting very well during it. Obtaining the S ranks is also required for receiving the Elite trophy/achievement. To achieve the S rank you need to collect at least 130.000 points during a mission. We have listed below the most important factors which will result in increasing your score.
- Mission completion time - The faster you complete the mission, the more points you will receive. Try to focus on mission objectives and don't waste your time on slowly eliminating all the enemies in a camp or on too long reconnaissance of each newly discovered location.
- Additional mission objectives - In addition to completing the main objectives, don't forget about the additional and hidden ones. They aren't mandatory, but for completing them you will receive bonus points.
- Finishing the mission at first attempt - you can receive a bonus if you complete the whole mission without returning to previous checkpoints. It requires high precision and very good knowledge of the territory on which you act.
- Reflex Mode - if you let this mode activate during the mission, then you will lose an opportunity for bonus points. It is best to turn it off before starting the campaign (an option in the main menu).
- Remaining hidden - avoid being detected by enemy forces and receiving damage (for example, due to their fire), you might receive penalty in points for that. You can receive a VERY LARGE point bonus for completing a mission without being detected and without killing anyone.
- Saving hostages - Look for opportunities to free the hostages held in enemy bases, including the ones not related to the current mission. For saving them you will receive many additional points.
- Stunning the enemies - Additional points are given for stunning enemies. You can neutralize them in close combat (preferably by sneaking up on them) or with a tranquilizer gun - aim at the head and try not to miss (the game considers accuracy when using gun fire).
- Marking enemies - every time you use binoculars, try to mark enemies on current territory. You will receive additional points for that.
- Interrogating the enemies - whenever it is possible, try to interrogate the enemies that you managed to surprise (before you put them to sleep).