The game's final boss is the Remnant Architect summoned by the Archon. You have to fight this monster during the last major quest of the main storyline - Meridian: The Way Home. The battle takes place at the very end of the said quest, which is after you've reached the heart of Meridian.
Before you proceed to further combat, read the information below:
- The Remnant Architect in the final battle is slightly different from the Architects you've encountered during colonization. The biggest change is the fact that you cannot win the battle in a traditional way, that is by focusing on attacking the Architect. Instead, you have to concentrate on completing mission objectives (described in the farther part of this walkthrough).
- Of course, you can't ignore the Architect completely since it regularly launches powerful attacks. Dodging them is incredibly important, especially if you're playing on higher difficulty levels. You should be familiar with most of the Architect's attacks thanks to your earlier encounters with those monsters - it can, first and foremost, throw grenades, send energy waves, and fire ranged weapons. Remember that cover doesn't completely protect you from many attacks of this boss. The best course of action is to stay in motion and jump back or to the sides when the boss signals readiness to perform a powerful attack.
- One of the attacks of the final battle's Architect is sending energy waves that transform into an energy cage. Such an attack is shown in the image above. In this case, the key to success is also to notice the Architect's readiness to use this attack and then move to another spot. Otherwise, the protagonist not only can take damage but also become imprisoned inside the cage. Attention - the cage disappears after some time so stay away from it until it does to avoid taking unnecessary damage.
- Fighting the Architect doesn't force you to play defensively only. At certain moments, you will be notified about the opportunity to attack the boss. In such cases, attack his head (just like in the image above). Exhausting the red energy bar will make the Architect stop attacking for a while. This lets you focus on mission objectives and, obviously, the minor enemies around you.
- Don't save ammo or powers and skills since there are plenty of supply crates lying around. Use the crates that regenerate health often because one powerful attack of the Architect or a mass assault of the "ordinary" enemies can quickly kill the protagonist. Luckily, the game creates checkpoints once you've completed each major stage of the battle, so you won't have to start over if you die.
- At certain points of the battle, other allies may appear in the room. Use such moments to regenerate or focus even more on completing the current objective.
The first relay
The relay is located in the western part of the room. Don't hurry reaching it because you have to eliminate all Remnants in the area, first. Once you've done that, the hacking process, symbolized by the progress bar in the top right corner of the screen, will begin. Similarly to previous quests of this type, you have to stay close to the console. Don't forget about the Architect's attacks and move quickly to other places when he fires on your current position. After the hacking has ended, interact with the relay to progress to the next stage of the battle.
The second relay
The second relay is located in the eastern part of the room, but you have to wade through the southern part to reach it. Also, you'll need to activate the console shown in the picture, which will allow you to jump through the blocks and get to the other side of the ferrofluid container (direct contact with this substance is strongly inadvisable).
From this point on, expect to be attacked by the strongest kinds of Remnants, so don't hesitate to use the most powerful powers and skills. Also, use cover frequently. Having reached the southeastern part of the room, you will have to defend yourself while waiting for the platforms to rise. Just like before, avoid the attacks of ordinary Remnants as well as those of the Architect (or try to disable it by attacking its head).
Once the platforms are raised, use them to head north and bunker up at the next relay. Defend yourself until the relay is unlocked.
The third relay
The last relay is located in the southern part of the room. To reach it, you have to cross the area where you extended platforms earlier. Get rid of the Remnants that are still active. The game will let you interact with this relay right away. This action will end the battle and the quest, as well. There's only the epilogue, which is described on the next page of this guide, left to play.