This guide below to Mass Effect 2 is a extensive compendium of knowledge about the game from BioWare studios. Thanks to our guide, you'll learn all the most important gameplay mechanics, complete main and side quests, and explore all locations present in the game in 100%. The guide was divided into three main chapters, first of them a detailed walkthrough for the game, in which we described all main and side quests, as well as companion missions and N7 tasks. Our guide contains information about all important decisions, endings, meetings with NPCs, combat, and defeating bosses.
The second major chapter of the guide is a beginner's guide which focuses on explaining the most important mechanics of the gameplay and understanding its basics. Among others, we can find starting tips, as well as tips on winning fights, exploration, or the reputation system. A large portion of this chapter was dedicated to developing the hero and the team. You'll learn about advantages and disadvantages of the individual classes, managing the party and engaging in romances with the chosen crew members of Normandy.
The final chapter is a World Atlas which main aspect is to help you fully explore the world of the game. Inside, you can find, among others, a list of all available technologies to buy or develop on your own, information about the locations of resources, the list of merchants and wares sold by them, or a list of all available clusters and planets in the game. The guide is concluded by additional pages dedicated to system requirements and information about the length of the game.
- Mass Effect 2: Quick Starting Tips
- Mass Effect 2: All story quests
- Mass Effect 2: All side quests
- Mass Effect 2: Beginner's guide
- Mass Effect 2: World atlas
- Mass Effect 2: PC system requirements
- Mass Effect 2: Game Length
Mass Effect 2: Quick Starting Tips
Below you'll find a few useful tips and clues which can be useful if this is your first playthrough. To get more tips, visit starting tips page from our beginner's guide chapter.
- Choose Soldier class for your first playthrough - this class is easy to master and develop, enabling you to learn all the basic mechanics of the game with ease. Leave more difficult classes for further playthroughs.
- Party members should supplement themselves - This is so you have access to wide array of abilities and attacks to be able to respond to any situation. As a result, create a party containing a combat, biotic, and tech specialist.
- Follow the path of a Paragon or a Renegade - by focusing on only one of the available paths, you'll be able to squeeze more from the game, for example by having access to special actions that will mitigate serious confrontations or unique dialogue options.
- Use covers during combat - ME2 is full of challenging fights in which the enemy will attack you from a distance. You need to be able to respond to that, e.g. by using covers.
- Talk to Normandy crew after every major mission - this will allow you to get to know the crew, make friends with them, and (in certain cases) kindle a romance.
Mass Effect 2: All story quests
The list below contains story quests appearing in Mass Effect 2. The final page of the walkthrough is dedicated to available endings.
- Prologue: Save Joker
- Prologue - Lazarus Research Station
- Prologue - Awakening
- Prologue - Freedom's Progress
- Omega - Aria T'Loak
- Dossier: The Professor
- Dossier: Archangel
- Dossier: The Convict
- Citadel: The Council
- Citadel: Captain Bailey
- Dossier: The Warlord
- Stop the Collectors
- Dossier: Tali
- Collector Ship
- Illium - Liara T'Soni
- Dossier: The Justicar
- Dossier: The Assassin
- The Reaper IFF
- Stop the Collectors - Finale: Part 1
- Collector Base: Infiltration
- Collector Base: Long Walk
- Stop the Collectors - Finale: Part 2
Mass Effect 2: All side quests
We divided side quests into a few categories. The most important of them are companion quests, as they can unlock new romances.
Quests available in hubs
- Normandy - available quests - Special Ingredients, Serrice Ice Brandy, FBA Couplings
- Omega - available quests - Struggling Quarian, Batarian Bartender, Missing Assistant, Datapad Recovered, The Patriarch, Packages for Ish
- Citadel - available quests - Krogan Sushi, Khalisah al-Jilani, Crime in Progress, False Results
- Illium - available quests - Indentured Service, Lost Locket Found, Medical Scans, Blue Rose of Illium, Stolen Goods Found, Smuggling Evidence, Salarian Family Data
- Tuchanka - available quests - Killing Pyjaks, Betting Station, Combustion Manifold, Missing Scout
- Lost Operative
- Eclipse Smuggling Depot
- MSV Estevanico
- Wrecked Merchant Freighter
- Abandoned Research Station
- Hahne-Kedar Facility
- Imminent Ship Crash
- Blood Pack Communications Relay
- Blood Pack Base
- Captured Mining Facility
- Abandoned Mine
- Archeological Dig Site
- MSV Strontium Mule
- Blue Suns Base
- Javelin Launch
- Anomalous Weather Detected
- Quarian Crash Site
- Endangered Research Station
- Mining the Canyon
- Miranda: The Prodigal
- Samara - The Ardat-Yakshi
- Thane: Sins of the Father
- Garrus: Eye for an Eye
- Grunt: Rite of Passage
- Mordin: Old Blood
- Jacob: The Gift of Greatness
- Jack: Subject Zero
- Tali: Treason
- Legion: A House Divided
Mass Effect 2: Beginner's guide
In our beginner's guide, you can view pages dedicated to, among others, understanding the basic mechanics of the game, choosing main hero's class or kindling romances.
- Starting tips - we've listed various tips and clues for players beginning their adventure with the game.
- Creating or importing hero - you'll learn what is the difference between this two options and how to import a hero from ME1.
- Character creation screen - this page explains what decisions are made when starting a new game and how does the character creation screen looks like.
Character classes and powers
- Soldier - here you'll find all that you need to know about Soldier class - advantages and disadvantages, preferred playstyle etc.
- Infiltrator - here you'll find all that you need to know about Infiltrator class - advantages and disadvantages, preferred playstyle etc.
- Vanguard - here you'll find all that you need to know about Vanguard class - advantages and disadvantages, preferred playstyle, etc.
- Sentinel - here you'll find all that you need to know about Sentinel class - advantages and disadvantages, preferred playstyle, etc.
- Adept - here you'll find all that you need to know about Adept class - advantages and disadvantages, preferred playstyle, etc.
- Engineer - here you'll find all that you need to know about Engineer class - advantages and disadvantages, preferred playstyle, etc.
- Similarities between classes - we've prepared a few tables that show similarities and differences between the available classes.
- Unlocking special powers - this page explains what special powers are and how to unlock them.
- Morality -This page explains how the reputation/morality system works in the game, how to get paragon or renegade points, and how the interrupt system works.
- Exploration - we've described on foot/Mako exploration, as well as how to explore the galaxy using Normandy.
- Combat - we've supplied various tips regarding combat, involving e.g. using covers, leading the team, and managing ammunition.
Party and romances
- Potential team members - the page contains a list of potential team members, along with their locations and requirements before joining your party.
- Romances - male Shepard - this page contains romance possibilities for male Shepard.
- Romances - female Shepard - this page contains romance possibilities for female Shepard.
- Kelly Chambers romance - we explain whether it is possible to romance Kelly and its requirements regarding actions and hero's sex.
- Improving relations with the crew - you'll learn how to improve the relations with the crew and how to react to potential confrontations.
Mass Effect 2: World atlas
Our Mass Effect 2 world atlas will help you unlock all technologies, reveal all resource lodes and fully explore the world.
- The basics - You'll learn how new technologies are unlocked and the categories they are divided in.
- Buying technologies - this page contains information where to buy technology and how is it different from developing them on your own.
- Best technologies to start out with - we've prepared a few recomendations regarding technologies which you should develop first.
- Plans for new technologies - the page contains a table listing the locations of technologies.
- Developing new technologies - here you'll find a table listing the requirements and the effect of the individual technologies.
- Upgrades - the page contains a table listing the locations where you can buy upgrades.
- Methods of gathering resources - here you'll learn the ways of gathering resources.
- Element Zero - this page contains tips where to find Element Zero lodes.
- Iridium - visit this page for tips on how to find Iridium.
- Platinum - here you'll find tips where to look for Platinum lodes.
- Palladium - visit this page for tips where to look for Palladium lodes.
- Accessories - we've prepared a table listing accessories which can be acquired during the game.
- Merchants - Stores - here you can find a list of shops appearing in various locations of the world.
- Merchants - Goods - we've prepared a list of items offered by the vendors.
- Codex - this page lists Codex entries unlocked during the game.
- Planets and moons - a guide to the galaxy. You'll learn what clusters appear in the game, what planets can be explored and the rewards from doing so.
Mass Effect 2: PC system requirements
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz or AMD equivalent
- RAM: Windows XP 1GB / Windows Vista and Windows 7 2GB
- GPU: 256 MB memory (Pixel Shader 3.0 supported)
- DirectX: 9.0c
- Disk space: 15 GB
- OS: Windows XP SP3 / Windows Vista SP1 / Windows 7
The information regarding recommended requirements of Mass Effect 2 can be found in a separate chapter called System Requirements.
Mass Effect 2: Game Length
Completing the main storyline takes about 25-30 hours, the exact time depends on the chosen difficulty level and the amount of time dedicated to exploration. Achieving 100% completion requires around 50 hours.
To learn more about the length of the game (along with additional DLCs) visit Game Length page in our guide.
About Mass Effect 2 Guide & Walkthrough
Author : Jacek "Stranger" Halas for gamepressure.com
last update : May 5, 2016
Guide contains : 85 pages, 1570 images.
Use the comments below to submit your updates and corrections to this guide.
Hot Topics of Mass Effect 2 Guide & Walkthrough
- Mass Effect 2: Endings Guide Mass Effect 2 guide, walkthrough.
- Mass Effect 2: Illium: Liara T'Soni - walkthrough Mass Effect 2 guide, walkthrough.
- Mass Effect 2: Dossier: Archangel - walkthrough Mass Effect 2 guide, walkthrough.
- Mass Effect 2: Omega - walkthrough Mass Effect 2 guide, walkthrough.
- Mass Effect 2: Preparations for the final battle - walkthrough Mass Effect 2 guide, walkthrough.