Like a Dragon Ishin: List of best skills Like a Dragon Ishin guide, tips
In Like a Dragon Ishin you can develop your character by, among other things, unlocking new skills. This page of the guide lists recommended skills from the Brawler, Swordsman, Gunman and Wild Dancer trees.
Last update: Wednesday, March 8, 2023
In Like a Dragon: Ishin, you can buy skills for each of the 4 fighting styles. On this page, you will find a list of the best skills. We exchange skills thanks to which you can, e.g. increase the attack power, improve Ryoma's health, make it easier to counter and dodge, gain access to Special weapons or perform more Heat Actions.
Some of the skills listed below can be locked. You can make them available for purchase by, e.g. taking lessons from the masters. We have described them on the Martial arts masters and training page.
- Rank skills
- Health Increase skills
- Heat skills
- Dodge and block skills
- Counterattack skills
- Combo skills
- Essence skills
- Running attack skills
- Last skills from the trees
- Special weapon unlock skills
- Ammunition crafting skills
In each development tree, you will find skills that raise the rank of a given fighting style. This increases the power of normal and special attacks (Finishing Blows and Heat Actions) for this style.
Try to quickly unlock at least 2-3 ranks from each category. If a style clearly suits you, then try to progress further in the tree to reach the next ranks.
Health Increase skills
This is a group of skills found on all trees. Each skill you buy permanently increases Ryoma's health bar, thus improving your chances of survival. This is especially important when confronting bosses and other elite enemies.
There are 2 types of Heat skills:
- Heat Increase - These are important skills because they can permanently extend the Heat Gauge. Try to buy some of these upgrades.
- Heat Enhancement - These abilities improve the rate at which Heat is accumulated with attacks.
Dodge and block skills
On the trees, you can find abilities related to dodges and blocks, thanks to which the risk of taking damage will be reduced. The most important of them are:
- Komaki Dharma Tumbler from the Brawler tree - Thanks to this skill, Ryoma can perform a roll in addition to the standard dodge.
- Greater Evasion from the Brawler tree - This skill can help you avoid damage while dodging.
- Serene Heart from the Swordsman tree - This ability will allow you to quickly Guard again after it is broken.
- Texas Two-Step from the Gunman tree - This skill extends dodging, as it allows Ryoma to simultaneously shoot a firearm.
- Evasive Shadow from the Wild Dancer tree - This is a passive ability that allows Ryoma to perform more dodges in a chain.
Some of the skills let Ryoma counterattack. They can require a lot of precision to stop an enemy attack, but when successfully activated, they will make it easier for you to win the fight.
- Komaki Tiger Drop from the Brawler tree - it's a difficult counter to perform correctly (press Triangle/Y just before the enemy finishes his attack), but it can deal massive damage.
- Komaki Knock Back from the Brawler tree.
- Splendid Skill: Fair Weather from the Swordsman tree - Ryoma can push the opponent away and prepare for a counterattack.
- Sudden Strike from the Gunman tree - similarly to Tiger Drop, it requires high precision when pressing the counterattack button (Square/X on the controller).
- Essence of Stature from the Wild Dancer tree - You must press Triangle/Y before an enemy attack reaches you and have Heat in stock.
On the trees, you can find skills that extend combo in the series. In the example in the picture, the Rush Combo Extension skill is able to extend the standard Swordsman combo.
Many good Combo skills are found in the early parts of development trees. Try to unlock them early in the game.
All skills from this group allow you to perform Heat Actions after charging the Heat bar. They differ in how they work and are activated (e.g. opponent lying on the ground or standing next to a wall).
Unlock at least a few Essence abilities for each style to have more options in defeating enemies.
Running attack skills
You can get skills that allow you to attack while running towards the enemy. They can be very helpful as a quick combo starter. These are:
- Paper Lantern Voyage from the Brawler tree;
- Swordplay: Brief Slumber from the Swordsman tree;
- Jumping Shots from the Gunman tree;
- Sickle of the Dust Devil from the Wild Dancer tree.
Last skills from the trees
Each of the trees has side branches with one or more skills, but also a main skill path. The very end of that path may have interesting skills to unlock. In the example from the picture, Asura Spirit skill from the Brawler tree allows you to heal Ryoma by sacrificing Heat Gauge.
The other trees will also have useful skills. Get them if they seem interesting.
Special weapon unlock skills
Ryoma can't use special weapons right away. Unlock the skills related to them so you can use these weapons in combat:
- Knowledge of the Odachi from the Swordsman tree - Ryoma will be able to use Odachi weapons.
- Knowledge of Cannons from the Gunman tree - This will unlock the ability to use various types of cannons.
- Knowledge of the Spear from the Wild Dancer tree - You will be able to use various spears.
We discussed the use of special weapons in more detail on the How to use special weapons? page in the FAQ section.
Ammunition crafting skills
This is a unique group of skills from the Gunman tree. You can unlock the option to craft firearms ammo at the Kurogane Smithing. This can be a cheaper method than buying ready-made ammunition. Different types of ammo have separate skills:
- Enhanced Rounds Knowhow;
- Flash Rounds Knowhow;
- Thunder Rounds Knowhow;
- Acid Rounds Knowhow;
- Poison Rounds Knowhow.
You can also unlock the Shooting Star Blessing skill and get more XP for using special ammo.