Baptism of Fire is one of the most difficult main quests in Kingdom Come: Deliverance. This quest has two stages - first, you will participate in a big battle, during which you will have to defeat many bandits and Cumans. In the second part, you'll also have to fight Runt, whom you'll need to kill. Below you can find some advice concerning the preparation for the quest and defeating Runt
- Battle preparations
- First stage of the battle (near Pribyslawitz)
- Second stage of the battle (the road to Cuman camp)
- Third part of the battle (clear the northern camp)
- Fourth stage of the battle (reach the church)
- Fifth stage of the battle (defend the church)
- Killing Runt (bossfight)
- Finishing the quest
This quest begins when you tell sir Radzik or Divish during the Nest of Vipers quest that you're ready to continue. BEFORE you do that, you should undertake some preparations to stand a chance during the battle. Here's a list of things you should consider:
- Get the protagonist to at least the 8th experience level, preferably the 10th. Also make sure that strength, agility and vitality are around the similar level.
- Make sure the Defense and Warfare skills, as well as the skills you use in combat, are at least around levels 7-8. We recommend using a Mace or an Axe and/or a Bow. The melee skills can be easily developed by fighting captain Bernard; bow skills - by hunting for animals.
- Make sure Henry has a good weapon for the final duel. The choice of the weapon is up to you. Note, however, that Runt is using a good armor, which is hard to pierce with a sword - hence we recommend an axe or a mace (plus a shield, if your left hand's free). You can also try to use a ranged weapon against him. If so, then choose a good bow and the best arrows you can get. New weapons can be purchased in Rattay, or stolen from the Cumans' camp during the previous mission.
- If you're planning to face Runt in melee combat, you should unlock the combo perks for your weapon. Runt is a very good swordsman - it's nearly impossible to get through his guard with regular blows. For example, if you're using a mace, you really could use the Drei wunder: Forearm perk.
- Make sure you have good armor. Definitely use a helmet - it will protect you from enemy archers later during the battle. You can get high-quality armor elements during the previous mission (Nest of Vipers), or simply buy one at the Rattay armourer.
- Keep your eye on your HP and Stamina levels - if Henry is wounded, make sure he rests. Consider drinking potions before the battle to improve your health regeneration or combat proficiency.
- Create a separate savegame before attempting this quest! Do that in case it turns out that you're completely unable to cope with the mission objectives - you'll be able to postpone that quest for later.
First stage of the battle (near Pribyslawitz)
Follow the friendly troops after the quest begins. You will soon reach the camp, and the first stage of the battle will begin. Thanks to an in-depth reconnaissance, sabotage and informing Radzig about a huge number of enemy forces (you have to get reinforcements from Talmberg) your allies should have an advantage. Avoid any dangerous fights with enemies equipped with melee weapons (you can limit yourself to only attack them from behind). Why?
- Henry needs as much health points as possible at the end of this quest. Try to reach that fight with a full health.
- Thanks to the preparations your allies are able to deal with the enemies without your help.
- Radzig and Sir Divish won't die so you don't have to defend them.
However, if your reconnaissance wasn't that precise, you ignored the optional opportunities for sabotaging and you didn't get the reinforcements from Talmberg then your allies will have a difficult time with winning that battle. Here, you must help them because the quest can fail if everyone dies.
Second stage of the battle (the road to Cuman camp)
- Enemy archers will appear in this stage. Their numbers depend on how well you've managed to sabotage their arrow supplies in the previous quest. If Henry is wearing a helmet and a good armor, this stage shouldn't be a great challenge. Otherwise, keep away from them, since even a single shot can end your adventure.
- Use your melee advantage to deal with the archers. You can easily kill even half a dozen archers if they're standing close to each other. In the meantime, the allied units should be able to decimate the warriors - the third stage will commence after that. The game will create an autosave here.
Third part of the battle (clear the northern camp)
- The strategy doesn't change. Let your allies eliminate hostile Cumans (one of the leaders will participate in the fight - you don't have to fight him personally) and try to eliminate archers.
- They should be firing from the platform shown above. Close in and finish them with a melee weapon.
Fourth stage of the battle (reach the church)
- The church is located on the hill in the western part of Pribyslawitz. Mind the archers on the walls. If they start giving your allies a hard time, try to eliminate them with your own bow.
- You can take cover behind the tents if you're suppressed.
Fifth stage of the battle (defend the church)
- The last part of the battle isn't very challenging (if your army didn't loose too many men). New enemies will try storming the hill - there should be no archers among them. You can let your people secure the area of helping them by exploiting opportunities to attack exposed enemies.
- After the victory is secured, you will see a cut-scene, in which your army breaks through the enemy defenses and Henry goes to pursue Runt.
Killing Runt (bossfight)
Runt is sort of Kingdom Come's boss. He's very well equipped and he's a master of swordplay. He has to die in order for the quest to be finished (note - killing him doesn't mean you won't get the Merciful achievement - the game "allows" you to take his life).
The fastest way to win with Runt is to use a bow, especially since he doesn't use any headgear. It's risky, but the game is saved right before the fight, so you can easily try again.
- Run around the ceiling and use the big, vertical beam near the spawning point to keep Runt at bay. Take every opportunity you can to fire an arrow at him - aim at the head. With a bit of luck, Runt can even be killed with a single headshot!
- If you have a hard time aiming, you can shoot him in the chest, but this will take around a dozen arrows. Dodge to the sides to avoid his attacks and watch the stamina bar - don't deplete it!
Runt can also be defeated in a good old duel. If you opt for that solution, make sure you're blocking his blows.
- If you only can, make them all perfect blocks (green icon when Runt attacks), which will let you carry out a single free riposte (Runt can also block it, though, with a perfect block).
- Apart from that, look for opportunities to carry out combos. This will provide a better chance to break the guard and actually hurt Runt. Watch the stamina level and increase the distance between you and your enemy if it's low.
Finishing the quest
Killing Runt will be the end of the quest, and will allow you to begin the next main quest - Questions and Answers. The game will take you back to Rattay. You will get your own room with a bed, and the next quest will begin.
Important! - Return to Pribyslawitz right away (that is the bandit's camp you've attacked). It will be empty, and you'll be able to collect all the valuables there. You're particularly interested in:
- Chests in tents (look screen 1) - Some will contain fragments of Cuman armors or different weapons. These items are not marked as stolen and you can sell them with a great profit, or use them yourself.
- Runt's corpse (screen 2) - Use the ladder to get to the ceiling of the church. Search through the corpse and collect everything of value.