In the beginning of the game Henry can't read. This blocks you from using certain solutions that are available during the quests. You also won't be able to read various books that can increase your hero's stats. This page contains information that can help Henry learn how to read.
- The side quest called Mightier Than the Sword is connected to the basics of reading. You can unlock it by, e.g. asking any of the citizens about reading lessons. You are told to visit the Scribe in Uzhitz. This village is located in the north-east part of the map and you can visit it during the main story line.
- Find the Scribe's house in Uzhitz (the picture 1 - the area near the church and the tavern) and speak with the man about reading lessons (the picture 2). You have to pay him 50 Groschen for the basic lesson and spend a few days.
Watch the cut-scene that depicts the first lesson (you also get 1 point in Reading). Then, you have to sit and read the book. After that you will have to go back to the Scribe. Show him that you understood the book's message - choose the last dialog option ("That being greedy doesn't pay.").
The Scribe orders you to read another book but this one is written in Latin. Go back to the man and select the second dialog option - Nullus est liber tam malus, ut non aliqua parte prosit. As a reward for completing both "trials" you develop your Reading skill and complete the quest.
From now on you can:
- Read books that can boost Henry's skills (e.g. Hunting, Lockpicking). However, you have to check Reading "requirements" for each of the books (e.g. required Reading level 10). You can't read more complicated books right away.
- Examine various books and documents connected to quests.
- Read writings on the walls, items etc.
Important note - The Scribe can offer you numerous books, including two that can help you increase your Reading skill fast. Buy them if you have enough money.