Lockpicks in Kingdom Come: Deliverance are used for opening doors and various closed containers. Each of them should be very valuable for you as you can easily lose them and obtaining new ones won't be easy or cheap. Without lockpicks you can't increase your lockpicking skills or gain items from thefts.
How to get lockpicks in Kingdom Come?
Your first encounter with lockpicking might take place during the prologue - the "Unexpected Visit" quest. In one part of the quest you must take care of the debt of Kunesh. His belongings are in a locked chest in his house. You can speak about how to open the chest with Fritz, one of Henry's friends - this becomes available after you throw dung at one of the buildings and participate in a fight. Then Fritz might give you up to 4 lockpicks.
If despite your actions you lose all lockpicks, you can get new ones in 3 ways.
- The first one is visiting merchants who can sell them . The first lockpicks seller can be found in Talmberg - he is called Votava and he can be found in the castle (the picture above). Sadly, a single lockpick costs about 20-30 Groschen which means that you have to prepare yourself for spending quite a lot (always use haggling to get a better price).
- The second method is to visit millers who also work as black marketers. They can sell you lockpicks. Also, you can sell them your stolen items.
- The third method is finding lockpicks among other items in chests. You have the greatest chances for finding it in chests that you previously opened with your own lockpicks.
If you don't need to discover the basics of breaking in, you might wait until you complete the "Homecoming" quest and reach the house near Rattay that belongs to Miller Peshek. You can ask him to teach you the basics of lockpicking and train opening one of the chests with him.
How to lockpick in Kingdom Come?
No matter the circumstances, you must know that each failed attempt at lockpicking minigame means that one of the lockpicks will break. You can deal with it in a few ways:
- Try opening locks only if an automatic or manual save was made recently. If you break too many lockpicks, load previous state and try again.
- The lockpicking mini-game requires a good timing and intuition so spend a little bit of time on practicing it. You always have to start with placing your lockpick into a lock's weak spot which means that you have to stop your cursor in the place where the silver ball turns gold (the picture above shows an example). An even more important thing to do is to move the golden ball flawlessly while you are rotating the entire. Thanks to that you will be able to keep its perfect position in a lock. You can stop rotating a mechanism if you feel that you are about to break a lockpick (you lost its correct location) but you will have to repeat the whole sequence over again
- During a few first hours of the game try opening only very easy and easy locks. Use this method to develop lockpicking to at least level 3-4.
- Unlock the Lasting Lockpick perk once you reach level 3 of lockpicking. It increases the durability of each lockpick twice and it reduces the chances of breaking it.
- You can also speed up your development of Lockpicking ability by buying lessons from trainers, e.g. miller Peshek in Rattay. Remember that even the most basic training costs several dozens of Groschen and each training increases your Lockpicking skill only by 1 point.
- The game can display a warning before starting the mini-game if Henry's Lockpicking level is lower than that of a lock. Don't start picking that lock because you won't have any chances and you will only waste lockpicks.
Check also our pickpocketing guide in Kingdom Come.