We begin with few words on a virtual version of Seattle. The city is divided into several smaller districts, whose names are shown on the main map. The entire northern part of the city is available right after you get to the city (main quest Welcome to Seattle). Southern part of the city is accessible by a bridge located in the eastern part of the map, but it is not accessible initially. You can use the bridge only after unlocking one of main quests: Trash the Stash (Good Karma) or Fight Intolerants (Bad Karma).
Since inFamous: Second Son is a sandbox game, there are many different activities available for you:
- Main quests - Only first quests in Seattle are given to you one by one. After them the situation calms down and you do not have to hurry up because the new quest won't start until you get to the proper marker in the game world and accept the quest.
- Side quests - These are not complex random events that can be witnessed by you in random places. You won't be punished by ignoring such quests (they may appear many times). You should also consider if you want to complete them, because they can be associated with Good Karma (blue icon on the map) or with Bad Karma (red icon on the map).
- Additional activities - Optional activities categories are described in more details later in this guide. Usually there are several dozens of them associated with each city district and completing them is rewarded in different way (development points, lower risk of alarming enemy forces, getting closer to taking over the district, etc.).
- Taking over D.U.P. controlled district - Also this element is described in more details later on.
Note! Information on attractions waiting for Delsin in the city can be also found in the guide inFamous: Second Son in 10 simple steps.
Side quests in inFamous: Second Son are very lame and unfortunately they repeat themselves regularly, but still they are worth to be completed, because they are good way to acquire Good or Bad Karma. Random events appear at random locations so you should frequently check on your mini-map where they are always marked.
Sample side quests which reward you in Good Karma are: saving civilians imprisoned in cages, getting rid of drug dealers and eliminating bandits who shoot at cops. Sample side quests which reward you in Bad Karma are: murdering people who protest against bio-terrorists, eliminating street musician or killing suspects imprisoned in cages.
It would be best to complete additional activities during main quests, although some of them (shards for example) are available at any time. You can check your progress on the district map - information on additional activities is shown on the right side of the screen. Each completed activity moves you toward the battle over the district because it lowers the D.U.P. control factor.
Additional activities available in the game:
- Mobile Command Centres - You have to blow them up and neutralize enemy bases where these centres are located.
- Scanning Station - You have to destroy them (I recommend using most powerful powers) because in each of them you can find a shard.
- Security Camera - You have to destroy them and this can be accomplished with the most basic distant attack - Smoke Shot.
- Jammer - You have to destroy them (use some.
- Tracker Drone - Each drone has a shard inside (Blast Shards) and shards are used to develop Delsin's powers. Some drones are flying around and it would be best to target them from rooftops.
- Secret Agents - You have to expose each enemy agent and chase him, trying to weaken him with distant attacks.
- Hidden Cameras - You have to see each camera's footage to locate it and destroy it.
- Audio Logs - Use your phone to locate hard disks with audio logs.
- Stencil Art - Pain graffiti in selected locations. Each time you'll be asked whether you want to promote your character as a Hero or as a Villain.
You can start fighting over the district only after lowering D.U.P. control factor to 30%. After that you have to go to the placed marked with a phone icon on the map and start the fights after a funny phone call. Each battle is very demanding because you'll have to deal with snipers, powerful opponents with powers, armored vehicles or even helicopters, among other things. You should prioritize your actions, planning to eliminate first those opponents which are the biggest threat. Do not forget about withdrawing when you get injured or when your smoke or heavy ammo supplies are depleted.
The main advantage of taking over the district is fact that all enemy forces in the area are gone, so you do not have to worry about them anymore. In addiction you'll be rewarded in unique jackets and fast travel option (it works between districts which are already taken over).