This page of the guide to Horizon 2 Forbidden West contains a list of all available Hunting Grounds which are an optional activity. You'll also learn about the general premise of the hunting grounds, what trials can be found in each such location, and what is the main reward for completing all trials.
Basic information about hunting grounds
Hunting Grounds are an optional activity that was also available in Horizon Zero Dawn. Each such location contains hunting trials designed to test your skills in eliminating machines and skillfully using Aloy's equipment.
When you arrive at a hunting ground, you can talk to the Grounds Keeper to see the available trials and do them. The game may initially block access to some of these, as they may require specific weapons or abilities.
Moreover, you can always find a campfire in the hunting grounds to save your game, as well as a trader. Using what they have to offer can help you a lot, because traders often have unique weapons that you'll need for a given trial.
You can and should read the description of each trial before proceeding. It contains very useful hints about the recommended tactics or less obvious moves that you need to make in order to pass the trial.
It also contains information about the trial's Stripes. The faster you complete a trial, the better the Stripe and rewards you will receive. Taking part in the trials is free, so you can repeat them as many times as you like to get better Stripes and rewards.
You can restart or cancel trials that you have started, which is a good idea if the fight doesn't go your way or you have prepared poorly for the challenge. The easiest way is to select the restart option from the pause menu (image above). If you wish to cancel the trial, return to the Grounds Keeper.
List of hunting grounds
There are 4 hunting grounds in Horizon Forbidden West and each offers 3 different trials. This means that you can do 12 different challenges in total. Here is a list of the hunting grounds:
- The Daunt - available challenges: Tear Trial, Shock Trial and Shock and Trap Trial
- Plainsong - available challenges: Silent Looting Trial, Silent Strike Trial and Silent Gliding Trial
- Sheerside Mountains - available challenges: Frost Trial, Shredder Catch Trial and Plasma Blast Trial
- The Raintrace - available challenges: Shock and Remove Trial, Mounted Combat Trial and Heavy Weapons Trial
These locations and their trials are described in more detail on other pages of this guide.
The main rewards for completing these challenges are:
- Hunting Medals - Their use in the game is described in detail on the page Hunting Medals - where to use them?. In short: you can go to the Prize Master and exchange your medals with her for very rare and valuable equipment.
- Metal shards
- Crafting Ingredients - The higher the stripe or group of stripes you have earned, the rarer materials you'll get.
Passing each of the 12 challenges (regardless of the type of Stripes you've earned) is rewarded with a silver trophy Three Stripes earned on all hunting grounds.
You'll also get a reward for passing all 12 trials at the 4 hunting grounds. The reward is the legendary Tinker's Pride Tripcaster.