Hogwarts Legacy: Best talents, skill tree Hogwarts Legacy guide
In Hogwarts Legacy, you can use talents - passive abilities. This page of the guide lists the best talents along with information on how they work. You will also learn how to unlock talent trees, how talents work and how to buy talents with skill points.
Last update: Wednesday, February 8, 2023
On this page of the Hogwarts Legacy guide, you will learn about unlocking and using talents - passive skills. We explain when the game unlocks talent trees, how to earn talent points, and what are the best talents in each category that are worth buying first.
- Unlocking talent menu
- Buying talents with development points
- Recommended talents - Spells tree
- Recommended talents - Dark Arts tree
- Recommended talents - Core tree
- Recommended talents - Stealth tree
- Recommended talents - Room of Requirement tree
Unlocking talent menu
Talents are passive skills in Hogwarts Legacy, i.e. you can get bonuses from unlocked talents without having to manually activate them.
Talents are not available from the beginning of the game. You need to advance in the main storyline and start Jackdaw's Rest main quest. In its final part, you will reach the Map Chamber, where you will unlock the menu and talent trees.
Buying talents with development points
You get a talent point each time you level up, starting from level 5. You will probably do the Jackdaw's Rest quest when you are at a higher level, but the game will reward you with all missing points (e.g. up to 10 in the example from our picture). You don't have to worry that you will lose the chance to receive all development points.
Talents are purchased from the newly unlocked menu and are divided into 5 different categories. Each talent costs 1 point, but some of them have additional requirements:
- advancing the character to level 16 or 22;
- having access to the spell or piece of equipment associated with the talent;
- having access to the Room of Requirement for talents in the last category (you will unlock it in the main storyline).
Below you will find a list of recommended talents. We focused primarily on talents from the lowest parts of the development trees, i.e. those requiring only level 5.
Recommended talents - Spells tree
- Accio Mastery - This talent enhances the Accio spell: you can pull several enemies standing close to each other.
- Levioso Mastery - This talent enhances Levioso spell: you can lift several enemies standing next to each other into the air.
- Incendio Mastery - This talent enhances the Incendio spell: you can unleash a ring of fire around the hero and damage a group of enemies.
- Bombarda Mastery - This talent increases the already high damage of Bombarda spell: casting it causes a big explosion.
Recommended talents - Dark Arts tree
- Stunning Curse - This talent improves the effects of Stupefy (block by holding down the button): it can curse enemies and make them more vulnerable to damage.
- Disarming Curse - This talent improves the Expelliarmus spell (disarming enemies): you can place a curse on them to lower their resistance to damage.
- Enduring Curse - This talent extends the duration of the curse (lower resistance of opponents) and this applies to all talents in this category.
Recommended talents - Core tree
- Ancient Magic Throw Expertise - This is a very useful throwing upgrade (R1/RB) because you can grab disarmed enemies' weapons and throw them at them for heavy damage.
- Basic Cast Mastery - This talent makes using a normal wand attack (R2/RT) speed up the cooldown of other spells.
- Protego Absorption - This talent allows successful blocks with the Protego spell to fill the ancient magic (special attack) bar faster.
- Swift - This is a very helpful upgrade to standard dodge (Circle/B): you can briefly disappear and reappear farther away from where you dodged.
- Wiggenweld Potency - All talents in this group improve the effects of Wiggenweld Potion, so you can recover more health points.
Recommended talents - Stealth tree
- Sense of Secrecy - All talents in this group improve stealth with Disillusionment. Buy them to reduce the chances of being detected by enemies.
- Petrificus Totalus Mastery - This talent improves the effect of surprise attacks after sneaking up on enemies from behind. Activating Petrificus Totalus can deal damage to all nearby enemies.
Recommended talents - Room of Requirement tree
- Edurus Potion Potency - This talent improves the default effect of the potion: drinking it can now grant temporary invulnerability and deflect enemy projectiles.
- Invisibility Potion Potency - This talent improves the default effect of the potion: its consumption extends the duration of the invisibility.
- Maxima Potion Potency - This talent improves the default effect of the potion: its consumption allows you to deal more damage and break enemy shields.