Hitman 3: Means, Motive and Opportunity - Dartmoor, mission story, walkthrough
Hitman 3 guide, walkthrough
Key points of Hitman 3 - Dartmoor - Important locations
On this page of the Hitman 3 game guide, you will find a walkthrough for the Means, Motive and Opportunity mission story in Dartmoor. You can learn how to disguise as a private investigator, how to find all the traces, and how the final meeting with Alexa will turn out.
The different ways of killing the main objective of the mission in Dartmoor - Alexa Carlisle - are described on a separate page of our guide.
Disguising as the private investigator
The task is to disguise yourself as a private investigator who was hired by Alexa to investigate the circumstances of Zachary Carlisle's death.
At the beginning of the mission, the private detective stands in front of the mansion's entrance (point 2 on the map), close to where Agent 47 also starts his job. Do not try to attack him now, as you would get into an unnecessary fight with the guards at the gate.
The best place to attack the investigator and remain unnoticed is to lure him to the side hallway with the showcases adjacent to the foyer(point 21 on the map). No one should notice your attack, and in the same corridor, his body can be hidden in a closet.
Note - Don't wait too long to steal the detective's identity, as he may meet with Alexa. This may lead to the failure of the story mission.
Investigating Zachary's bedroom
After you put on the detective outfit, head to the foyer (point 16 on the map). Wait for Alexa Carlysle to appear and talk to her. Don't try to attack her right now, as there are plenty of guards around.
Talk to the butler - Mr. Fernsby, and follow him to Zachary's bedroom (point 32 on the map), which is the place of Zachary's suicide death. This is the first of five locations to explore during the investigation.
There are 6 traces to be found:
- Take out camera and scan Zachary's corpse.
- Use the camera to scan the bottle and glass of whiskey next to the bed.
- Look at the Suicide Note lying on the table next to the fireplace.
- Check out Zachary's laptop.
- Pull the book from the picture above - this will lead to unlocking the secret room(point 33 on the map) adjacent to the bedroom.
- In the secret room, examine the Mansion Floor Plan.
You can now return to the butler and talk to him. You will be tasked to question the suspects in Zachary's death case and to find more clues. This is optional, and you can request an audience with Alexa right away if you want.
Agent 47 can interview four characters. During these meetings, you won't choose the dialogue options. Ask each character all the questions you can - about the alibi, Zachary, and any additional information that may help in the investigation.
- Gregory Carlisle sits on the sofa in the living room(point 20 on the map)
- Edward Carlisle is playing the piano in the dining room, and you have to wait until he finishes playing(point 24 on the map)
- Rebecca Carlisle moves between the living room and the trophy room (point 19 on map)
- Emma Carlisle is in the living room
- Patrick Carlisle plays billiards in the library(point 17 on the map)
Finding all the traces
You can now additionally explore four more rooms. This is required to 100% complete the investigation. You can, of course, search the rooms in any order.
At first, it is best to search Mr. Fernsby's office( point 22 on the map). It is locked, but you can use one of the crowbars found in the mansion (e.g. at point 15 on the map). There are 3 tracks to find in the butler's office:
- Mr. Fernsby's List - it lies on the desk.
- Lethal Poison Pill Jar by the window.
- Zachary's Half-Burnt Diary in the fireplace (shown in the picture above).
Additionally, take the Mansion Master Key, which can open all doors in the building.
The second place to explore is Rebecca's room on level 1 (point 29 on the map). Use the master key from the butler's office to open the room. There are 2 traces to be found:
- Examine Rebecca's laptop.
- Use the camera to scan Rebecca 's Notebook.
The third place to explore is Emma and Gregory's room on level 1 (point 28 on the map). Again, use the master key, although the room can also be accessed from the balcony. There are 4 tracks to be found:
- Use the camera to scan the heels.
- Take the Greenhouse Key Chain hidden next to the suitcases (shown in the picture above). It does not include the key to the greenhouse, but it is an important discovery nonetheless.
- Pick up the Walking Cane.
- Look at the Letter from Emma's Mother on the bedside table.
The fourth place to explore is the Greenhouse located at the back of the gardens behind the mansion (point 10 on the map). The greenhouse is locked, but you can use the crowbar found on the back of it. Just make sure not to be seen while breaking in, and sneak around while exploring the inside of the greenhouse. You can find 2 tracks here:
- Investigate Distillation Kit.
- Use the camera to scan the Poison Dosage Table (the picture above).
There is another completely optional location to explore on the property that is nonetheless related to the investigation. It is a secret room next to the library on level 1 (point 27 on the map). You can get there with the help of the walking cane taken from Emma and Gregory's room. You have to put it in a secret switch.
In the secret room, you can find Montgomery's Long Lost Letter, from which you can learn more about Alexa and Zachary (watch it in the inventory).
Final meeting with Alexa
You have to meet the butler again, and you can do this at the first opportunity or only after you have completed the investigation and found 100% of the traces. Together you will head out to Alexa Carlisle's office on level 2 (point 37 on the map).
Sit in the chair. If you have investigated thoroughly, then you can make one of three statements:
- Zachary committed suicide.
- Mr. Fernsby (the butler) murdered Zachary.
- Emma murdered Zachary - she is the murderer.
Note - It is worth repeating the meeting with Alexa 2 more times, as there is a separate challenge associated with each of the available investigation results.
Regardless of the outcome of the investigation, Alexa will ask you to choose a reward. It is worth asking her for the Arthur Edwards file (Case File) related to the second mission objective. Agent 47 will reveal his identity that way, but Alexa should still hand over the file after all. You can take the documents from the safe Alexa opened. The woman will go out on the balcony afterward and commit suicide (this will be classified as an unfortunate accident, so you will not lose the rank of Silent Assassin).
If you ask for a standard payment, you will not reveal your identity. Alexa will also go out on the balcony and you can push her. Unfortunately, you will be required to obtain the files on your own.