This chapter will allow you to learn more about the valkyrias and their location - the hidden enemies featured in God of War. You will learn of their whereabouts and possible strategies when fighting them. You will also find lots of tips and helpful video guides. We've also broken down the fight with the incredibly powerful queen, who can kill Kratos with a few hits. Remember, valkyrie are optional, but if you're wondering how long is God of War, here you can find your answer. It depends if you want to kill all Valkyrie. First things first, though:
- There are 8 valkyrias in the game. Four in Midgard, sealed in concealed chambers. The remaining ones can be found in the following realms: Helheim, Muspelheim, Niflheim and Alfheim. The order in which you kill them is entirely up to you - they're all comparably challenging, however, the one from Muspelheim seemed particularly difficult, at least to the author.
- Each fight is different. Each valkyria uses a slightly different strategy. The most important skills needed to win are constant, though - it's good reflex and the ability to dodge the attacks. The valkyrias can deal gargantuan amounts of damage and kill the protagonist with just a few hits. You have to be as focused as you can.
- The best equipment. The best idea is to hunt the valkyrias after finishing the main thread and obtaining the equipment from Niflheim. If you do that, the creatures won't pose an insurmountable challenge - they will be just a more difficult variety of bosses.
- Maximal rage meter. Before each fight, make sure the rage meter is filled to capacity and you can use the Rage of Sparta. This will make the fight easier and will heal you a little bit whilst you're carelessly laying into the valkyries.
- Light of the World. You should complete this task, since it will yield an item that reduces valkyria damage. Most useful.
- Resurrection Stone. Make sure to always have it. When you're killed, you will be resurrected with filled rage, enabling you to launch the Rage of Sparta and deal some serious damage.
- Valkyria Queen. After collecting the eight helmets, you have to get to the Council of Valkyrias and place all the helmets on the thrones. After doing that, a rift will be opened, and you will be able to face the Queen. She's ridiculously powerful. You will need a maxed-out character and equipment in order to be able to defeat her.
Below you can find all valkyrie location in God of War (PS4). Check their location and prepare to fight because it's gonna be hard. Very hard.
Fighting Gunnr in the Thamurs Corpse
Location: Thamur's remains, in the secret chamber
Valkyria's name: Gunnr
Commentary: Gunnr is mostly about melee combat at short distance. Spinning attacks, quick thrusts and charges are her specialty. This, however, makes her susceptible to your attacks - if you can manage to dodge them first. Don't worry about her special attack - it's rather simplistic, especially when compared to other fights.
Fighting Olrun in Alfheim
Location: Alfheim, in the secret chamber.
Valkyria's name: Olrun
Commentary: This valkyria is fast and agile - she loves leaping attacks, using her wings. Her whirling attacks and quick thrusts are very dangerous. She can also shoot feathers at you and attack from above. Once you see her doing that, roll away immediately - Olrun performs this attack with the speed of a lightning. Don't be late, for this attack is very dangerous.
Fighting Geirdriful in Foothills
Location: Foothills, hidden chamber.
Valkyria's name: Geirdriful
Commentary: She just adores ranged attacks, but from time to time, she also uses a quick thrust. She throws rings from above, attacks with a shockwave and flings spikes at you. You have to try and close in and attack after a successful dodge when she decides to close in.
Fighting Rota in Helheim
Location: Helheim, hidden chamber.
Valkyria's name: Rota
Commentary: Rota is very mobile and uses charges and leaping attacks. She also attacks from above - be just as careful with her, for the damage she deals with her attack from above is enormous. She will also try to close in, grab you smash you into the floor, which also greatly reduces your HP. Stay focused, don't allow her to perform special attacks, and use the Rage of Sparta and you'll have no problems doing it.
Fighting Gondul in Muspelheim
Location: Muspelheim, after reaching the sixth sword - atop the mountain.
Valkyria's name: Gondul
Commentary: Gondul has a couple strong attacks. She's able to summon fire from the sky, jump high in the air and try to trample you (wait for 1.5 seconds and jump back after that short period). She can also blind you. She's a very tough opponent. Try using strong attacks on her after her trampling attempt and use Atreus' help as often as you can.
Fighting Hildr w Niflheim
Location: Niflheim, at the end of the maze.
Valkyria's name: Hildr
Commentary: This one is the master of ice. She can attack with shards of ice from afar. She also can send out shockwaves and performs whirling attacks, which let her instantly close in on you. Wait for her to charge and try dealing damage after a counterattack. Don't let her grab you! It will drain your health in seconds.
Fighting Eir in the Mountain
Location: The Mountain - hidden chamber.
Valkyria's name: Eir
Commentary: Fighting Eir is mostly about close melee attacks and closing in with charges, blinding you after them. Similarly to Gunnr, she's exposed to an attack when she does that - still, this valkyria is very dangerous. She can shield herself with her wings. This fight might take a while because of her blocks.
Fighting Kara in The River Pass
Location: The River Pass - hidden chamber.
Valkyria's name: Kara
Commentary: Kara mostly attacks from afar using spikes and a lightning-fast disk throw. Every now and then, she'll attempt to attack with her wings, although it's not going to be a strong attack. This boss can summon a bunch of enemies, introducing a bit of chaos into the battle. The Blades of Chaos are a good choice, as well as area attacks. Stay near her.
Fighting the Queen - The Council of Valkyries
Location: Council of Valkyries
Valkyria's name: Sigrun
Commentary: Sigrun is the queen of valkyrias and an incredibly powerful enemy. She can perform all of the attacks that her weaker sisters were able to perform and she often combines them in different ways. If for example she flies into the air to try and trample you, the first dodge has to be immediate and the other one performed after around one second. Sigrun also performs charges, trying to grab you. She shields from your attacks with her wings, can summon a rain of fire and hurls heavy disks at you, which deal heaps of damage. This is a very powerful boss and it takes a few attempts before you'll be able to kill her. You will need to learn how to dodge her attacks. Also remember to use the resurrection stone, which will replenish your rage. The talisman that slows time down during attacks will also be most useful. Make sure you have the best equipment possible (fully upgraded Nihilem armor, for example) and keep trying. You will eventually defeat her - you're the God of War, after all.