God of War Guide
The God of War returns. God of War Guide on PS4 contains tips for all secrets, collectibles (Nornir Chests, Odin's Ravens), bosses and of course solution for every quest. We've remembered about trophy guide, all favors, treasure maps localization and labours.
Last update: Friday, August 19, 2022
This God of War (2018) game guide describes the long and challenging journey of God of War named Kratos and his son Atreus. The latter accompanies and assists his father throughout most of the adventure. By using the information in the guide you should be able to complete the main storyline without any problems, discover all the secrets and complete God of War in 100%.
- God of War: Guide content
- God of War: Quick Beginner's Guide
- God of War: Walkthrough
- God of War: Bosses
- God of War: Secrets and collectibles
- God of War: Side quests and activities
- God of War: FAQ
- God of War: Basics
- God of War: Trophies and Platinum Trophy
- God of War: Game Length
God of War: Guide content
One of the most important chapters of the guide is the story walkthrough, in which all chapters of the main storyline have been described in detail. The walkthrough explains how to complete main quests, how to defeat enemies and how to solve puzzles. Boss fights, especially against the main bosses can be demanding and the most important of them have been described in detail in a separate chapter of our walkthrough.
This guide is not only focused on the main story. The second large chapter focuses on the topic of obtaining all secrets and collectibles, which can be found in the main and smaller locations of the game. The guide also describes all side quests and activities, which include labours, free dragons missions, hidden chambers, duels with Valkyries (strong optional bosses), or favors. Additionally, you can find guidelines on how to unlock the optional lands of Niflheim and Muspelheim, which contain extensive additional content.
Understanding some of the game's mechanics can be tricky, and the FAQ section of our game guide can help you with that. Among other things, it explains how to use fast travel, how to get the best equipment, how to unlock other worlds, whether characters can die, how to watch the hidden ending, and how to unlock Kratos' second ultimate weapon. Some important issues have also been covered in the game's guide, which include, among other things, beginner's tips, information on character development and description of equipment.
In our guide we have prepared some extra pages that focus on individual topics. These include, among other things, a trophy guide, sections containing information on the controls and information about how long it takes to complete God of War.
Our God of War game guide may also contain many spoilers (for obvious reasons), but we've tried to keep them to a minimum. You shouldn't find any major spoilers in the titles of consecutive pages. Thus, you may find some information about important events or plot twists in God of War only when you get to a particular page of our walkthrough.
God of War: Quick Beginner's Guide
- Kratos cannot get everywhere right away. Some locations only become accessible after you make enough progress in the main storyline, or after acquiring a weapon or skill required to unlock a particular collectible or secret passage. Fortunately, the game allows you to return to areas with secrets later in the campaign, as well as after completing the main storyline.
- Kratos' equipment can and should be gradually upgraded. It means that it is worth visiting the stores of friendly dwarves in order to forge or improve your equipment. This can make it much easier to stay alive and defeat stronger monsters.
- Atreus can help you in eliminating enemies or distracting them. This means that it is important to regularly develop his skills and acquire new armor for him. It's also important to know that Atreus can't die in the battle and that he doesn't need to be protected at all costs. He'll do just fine without you having to watch over him all the time.
- Engage in the encounters with Valkyries after reaching end game content. Valkyries are the strongest opponents in the game and there are 9 of them to defeat (including the queen). A good step in preparation is to get the best equipment by visiting optional lands in order to inflict more damage, be more resistant to attacks and generally have a better chance of victory.
- Axe Throw has various uses. Leviathan is useful not only for completing some of the main mission objectives and attacking enemies, but also it can be used for solving rune puzzles or hitting Odin's ravens (one of the game's collectibles). It's a good idea to throw the axe regularly in hope that you may successfully complete some optional actions.
- You don't have to use the Leviathan axe for the entire game. There is also a second main weapon available in God of War (that's a spoiler - we described it in the FAQ section), which you unlock as you progress through the campaign. Each of the main weapons allows you to perform different attacks and can effectively attack different types of enemies (e.g. frost trolls and fire trolls) - it's worth switching between weapons as needed.
For more God of War tips and tricks, check out the separate God of War Beginner's Guide page in this guide.
God of War: Walkthrough
In God of War there are 17 extensive story missions to complete, during which you visit such locations as Midgard, Alfheim, Helheim or Jotunheim. The order of completing the stages was imposed by game designers. Below is the list of chapters of our walkthrough:
- The Marked Trees
- Path to the Mountain
- A Realm Beyond
- The Light of Alfheim
- Inside the Mountain
- A New Destination
- The Magic Chisel
- Behind the lock
- The Sickness
- The Black Rune
- Return to the Summit
- Escape from Helheim
- A Path to Jotunheim
- Between the Realms
- Jotunheim in Reach
- Mother's Ashes
- The Journey home
God of War: Bosses
A separate chapter in our God of War game guide contains descriptions of the battles against all of the major bosses that appear throughout the campaign. In the description of each confrontation there is information on when you encounter the boss, what attacks he has and how to weaken him effectively. Here is the list of the main storyline bosses:
- The First Troll (Prologue)
- The Stranger (Prologue)
- The First Ogre
- The First Ancient in Alfheim
- Svartaljofurr - elf from Alfheim
- Dragon from Inside the Mountain stage
- First Traveller
- Magni and Modi
- The Bridge Keeper of Helheim
- Two Trolls in Tyr's Vault
- The Stranger - Second Encounter
- Final boss
The second category of boss fights are confrontations with Valkyries. They are optional, but very challenging bosses. Each of the Valkyries has been discussed on a separate page of the guide (location, battle tactics):
- General tips for clashes with Valkyries
- Valkyrie Gunnr - Thamur's corpse
- Valkyrie Olrun - Alfheim
- Valkyrie Geirdriful - The Foothills
- Valkyrie Rota - Helheim
- Valkyrie Gondul - Muspelheim
- Valkyrie Hildr - Niflheim
- Valkyrie Eir - Mountain
- Valkyrie Kara - River Pass
- Valkyrie Queen Sigrun - Valkyrie Council
God of War: Secrets and collectibles
Our God of War game guide provides information that will allow you to find 100% of the secrets and collectibles, which include Odin's Raven, Artifacts, Lore Markers, Legendary Chests, and Nornir Chests. The descriptions of collectibles have been divided according to the main and sub regions visited in the game.
Secrets - Main Locations
- The River Pass
- The Mountain
- Thamur's Corpse
- Temple of Tyr
- Muspelheim and Niflheim
Secrets - Shores of Nine
- Before you start
- Forgotten Caverns
- Isle of Death
- Iron Cove
- Lookout tower
- Light Elf outpost
- Volunder Mines
- Cliffs of the Raven
- Cliffs of the Raven
- Landsuther Mines
- Fafnir's Storeroom
- Mason's Channel
- Buri's Storeroom
- Council of Valkyries
- Northri Stronghold
God of War: Side quests and activities
Completing the main story doesn't end the God of War adventure, as it's also possible to engage in optional quests, activities and challenges. Each group of additional tasks and activities has been described on a separate page in our guide. Here is a summary:
- Other Labours and Assignments
- Hidden Chambers - The lairs of the Valkyries are hidden behind some of these secret locations.
- Jotun Altars - There are 12 altars to find.
- Freeing the Dragons - There are 3 great dragons to liberate and a separate puzzle is associated with each of them.
- Light of the World - There are 8 fireplaces to find.
Side quests and challenges
- Favors - These are a set of diverse optional tasks.
- Treasure Maps - This guide explains where to look for maps and related treasures.
- Niflheim - Additional Land - We've prepared such information as the requirements to unlock access to Niflheim, general land exploration, and related rewards.
- Muspelheim - Additional Land - We've prepared such information as the requirements to unlock access to Muspelheim, general land exploration, and related rewards.
God of War: FAQ
As you progress through God of War, you may encounter a variety of problems related to core gameplay mechanics, character development, or issues with world exploration. In the FAQ section, we've compiled all these problems into several main categories, namely:
- 100% - how to complete the game?
- Storyline finished - can I still play?
- Kratos - will he die in the game?
- Atreus - can he die in the game?
- Secret Ending - how to unlock?
- Classic type - how to change controls?
Exploration and combat
- Troll - how to beat?
- Blocking rocks - how to destroy?
- Entangled chests - how to open?
- Nornir Chests - how to open?
- All worlds - how to unlock?
- Exploring - when it's best to start?
- Ancients - how to fight them?
- Diving - is it in the game?
- Fast travel - how to use?
- Odins Ravens - what's the easiest way?
- Smouldering Ember - how to get?
Heroes and their development
- Abilities - which are the best?
- Better equipment - where to get it?
- Health/Spartan Rage - how to restore?
- Blacksmith - what is worth crafting?
- XP & hacksilver - how to gain quickly?
- Second weapon - how to fully upgrade?
- Finishing move - how to make it?
- Other weapons - when can I get?
- Leveling up - how to do it?
God of War: Basics
In the two additional pages of the God of War guide, you'll find tips on developing the main characters and their equipment, as well as information about crafting and making purchases.
- Kratos and Atreus Character Development - This page contains information about the stats and attributes that describe the hero, upgrading weapons and increasing Atreus' abilities.
- Dwarf Shop - this page explains how to forge and upgrade equipment and what to buy in the store.
God of War: Trophies and Platinum Trophy
There are 37 trophies to earn in God of War, including a platinum trophy. Unlocking the platinum trophy in the game can prove to be quite a time-consuming process (about 40 hours of gameplay). However, you have a possibility to freely switch between different difficulty levels without the risk of losing the achievement.
We've described all available trophies in our trophy guide.
God of War: Game Length
God of War is a longer game than the previous installments of the series. Completing the main story alone should take about 20 hours, and taking interest in all the optional content (including secrets and collectibles, duels with Valkyries, side quests, exploration of two additional lands) can easily double that amount.
For more information on how long it takes to get through 2018's God of War, check out the game's length page.
About God of War Guide
Author : Grzegorz "Alban3k" Misztal for gamepressure.com
last update : April 19, 2018
Use the comments below to submit your updates and corrections to this guide.
God of War Video Game
- genre: Action
- developer: Sony Interactive Entertainment
- publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
- platform: PS4
More About God of War
Best PS Plus Extra Games - Hall of Fame
New Sony subscription called PS Plus Extra gives access to catalog of games of all kinds. There are many hits worth playing on PS4 and PS5... regardless of how this offer looks compared to the Game Pass.
God of War Proves You Can Make Good PC Port
It's unfortunate, but over the past many years, developers have managed to discourage PC gamers with poorly designed ports of their biggest hits. God of War on PC, however, boldly (and baldly) opposes unfair practice.
New Video Games Coming in January 2022 - Beginning of 2022 Looks Promising
New year, new gaming opportunities! The best proof is January, which seems set to be solid. Especially for those who play on PC, where a few loud, console exclusives are coming!
The Best PS4 Exclusives - Absolute Must-play List!
Exes, exclusives – they often determine which console we buy. In this generation, by far the most interesting titles of this type were available on Sony PlayStation 4 – and we chose the best of them.
We All Yearn Fresh and Innovative Games – Except We Don't
I can't believe some people out there, in the depths of Internet. They start a game with ranting about lack of innovation in games, and end it with a game of the most formulaic multiplayers. But when they actually get innovation, they frown.