The endgame phase in God of War Ragnarok adds the Beyond Ragnarok quest to your journal. This page of the guide provides information on when the endgame starts, as well as its main objectives and major additions.
Unlocking the quest
The described quest will appear in your journal after completing the final main quest - The Realms at War. You must defeat the final bosses and talk with your companions in Midgard.
The Beyond Ragnarok quest will never disappear from your journal, because it is linked to the endgame phase, i.e., performing optional activities after you finish the main storyline.
Endgame phase - main features
- In the endgame, you can only play as Kratos. You won't be able to freely switch to Atreus. Kratos can visit several locations that you previously explored as Atreus, including the Mist Fields in Niflheim or the area around the Angrboda's Treehouse in Jotunheim.
- Freya accompanies Kratos in the endgame. You cannot choose Atreus as a companion.
- The most important new quest in the endgame is A Viking Funeral - it unlocks the game's hidden ending and we described it in the Endings subsection.
- The larger new optional activity is the Remnants of Asgard. You can find them in different realms - the fights can be difficult. At each site, you will find a lot of hacksilver and other valuable loot.
- You can look for new optional tasks. One of the new quests is The Broken Prison in Niflheim.
- You can challenge the Valkyrie queen. Learn where you can encounter Valkyrie Gna on a separate page in the Bosses chapter.
- You can discover new Mystic Gateway from the map level thanks to the seeds you received from Ratatoskr (in Sindri's House). This will allow Kratos to move to those gates he has not yet personally reached.
- You can complete all missed activities - favors, labors, Muspelheim challenges, secrets and collectibles. The only blocked realm is Asgard, but there were no additional activities there so you don't have to worry about missing anything.