This page of the guide contains a description of the fight with the Berserker Soul of Haklangr the Bearded - one of the stronger optional bosses of God of War Ragnarok. You will learn where Haklangr is in Vanaheim , how to fight him and how to deal with the boss's yellow and red attacks.
Location of fighting Haklangr
Haklangr the Bearder is one of the Berserkers, optional bosses in God of War Ragnarok. Defeating berserker souls is part of the Fit for a King side quest (favor).
You need to reach the Berserker Gravestone located in The Sinkholes region in Vanaheim. The place is not immediately available:
- The Sinkholes are part of The Crater in Vanaheim and how to get there is described on the page Reaching the Crater in Vanaheim.
- You have to get to the arena by boat. This is possible only after opening the dam and flooding the Crater - you will reach the dock and unlock a new Mystic Gateway. We discussed this on the Chasms in the Vanaheim Crater page.
The difficulty level of Berserkers is similar to Valkyries in the previous installment of God of War. You should prepare yourself as well as possible for the battle - equip the hero with the best possible equipment and skills (optimally weapons and armor on the maximum level 9).
Boss fight with the beserker
All Berserkers are fought in small enclosed arenas. Avoid standing near the edges of the arena, as the camera can make it difficult for you to follow the boss.
It is a good idea to attack Haklangr as soon as he appears in the arena, so he will already lose some health at the start. During the fight:
- use Kratos' runic attacks - optimally you should use all six (2 attacks for each weapon);
- use Spartan Rage (depending on the type you choose, activate it immediately or, for example, only after taking more damage);
- ask companion for help - they can use regular or stronger attacks (hold down the button);
- stay on the move and dodge when you are not sure if you will block or parry a given attack;
- avoid losing a lot of health in the initial part of the fight - health may appear in the arena, but picking it up can be risky.
A unique feature of this fight is that the boss can use 3 types of armor. After Haklangr puts on his armor (changing the color and appearance of the health bar), you must use the appropriate weapons to destroy it faster:
- orange armor - start using Leviathan;
- blue armor - start using the Blades of Chaos;
- gray armor - start using the Draupnir Spear.
Haklangr's very dangerous red attack creates a green area around him. You need to start moving quickly away from the boss - a single dodge backwards may not be enough.
The yellow aerial attack, which you may be familiar with from other Berserker fights, can also be problematic. Avoid or parry the attack at the perfect moment - you can't do it too early or too late, or you will be hit.
Once the boss' health bar is depleted, you can perform an execution (R3).
Before you approach the sword fragment marked with the quest icon, collect all loot from the arena.