On this page of the guide you will find information about weapons and shields available in God of War Ragnarok - Leviathan Axe, Blades of Chaos, and Draupnir Spear. We also explain upgrading weapons, what Spartan Rage is, and how to unlock and upgrade Relics.
Kratos' first main weapon that is capable of dealing melee and ranged damage. Leviathan Axe has the power of ice, allowing the player to freeze enemies and expose them to attacks.
You can assign two runic attacks to the weapon - light and heavy. In order to be able to use these attacks, you need to charge them first and activating them produces certain results. You can upgrade runic attacks by spending experience points amassed by Kratos.
- Leviathan Axe deals extra damage to targets that have been set on fire.
- Moreover, the weapon becomes extremely useful when facing fire-resistant enemies (fire health bar).
- When it comes to ice powers of the Axe, being struck by frost makes enemies unable to defend themselves for a certain period of time.
- You can push frozen enemies off cliffs and shelves, to shatter them into pieces.
- Leviathan Axe's heavy attack (hold R2) impales lesser enemies onto the blade, allowing Kratos to throw them back in the chosen direction.
- When it comes to exploration, Leviathan Axe can be used to destroy hanging objects, such as baskets or jugs.
- Furthermore, you can freeze moving elements, such as gears.
- When facing light elves, you can throw the Axe at their masks to rip them from their faces and immediately stun them.
- When it comes to opponents moving on two legs, you can throw the axe at the legs, making the enemy trip over, opening him for further punishment.
- Fighting wisps can also be easier thanks to your Axe - once stunned with your companion's arrow, you can hit them with it to deal a lot of damage.
- Finally, the Leviathan Axe is good at attacking airborne targets.
Blades of Chaos
Blades of Chaos is the series classic, known to all fans of the previous God of War installments. These chained blades can inflict damage on multiple enemies simultaneously while Kratos stays at a distance. Moreover, the Blades can set enemies and objects on fire.
With Blades of Chaos, similarly to the Leviathan Axe and the Draupnir Spear, you can install and use 2 runic attacks - light and heavy.
- The Blades deal extra damage to frozen opponents.
- This weapon is especially usefulwhen fighting opponents invulnerable to ice (blue health bar).
- Blades of Chaos are characteristic for their long range, allowing you to stay safe at a distance while hurting opponents.
- When it comes to airborne enemies, Blades can be used to grab the opponent in air and hurl him in the chosen direction.
- Besides combat, Blades play a role in exploration - they are needed to solve some of the Nornir Chests' puzzles,
- and to destroy environmental obstacles, such as plants or vines.
The Draupnir Spear is Kratos's final main weapon which is unlocked later in the story of God of War Ragnarok (more on the topic in How to unlock the Draupnir Spear? page of the FAQ chapter) The spear is imbued with the power of wind, which will come useful when attempting to reach seemingly inaccessible areas.
When it comes to battles, the spear can be used both in melee and ranged combat. As with all main weapons, you can add and use runic attacks.
- Each thrown spear that struck the enemy stacks and can be detonated once some charges have been accumulated (Triangle) to inflict more damage.
- The Spear is useful in ranged combat.
- When it comes to exploration, the Draupnir Spear can be used to destroy fissures or to act as a rod for climbing.
In God of War Ragnarok, shields have multiple functionalities - not only defense but also stunning enemies or attacking if Kratos doesn't have any weapon equipped. Shields in God of War Ragnarok can be equipped with special attachments that increase Kratos' attributes and can offer additional effects.
- The main functionality of a shield in God of War Ragnarok is parrying and blocking enemy attacks. Successful parrying quickly fills up the enemy stun bar.
- When it comes to light shields, parrying requires immaculate timing. On the other hand, heavy shields absorb damage inflicted by opponents, which cna be later used to your advantage.
- With a heavy shield, blocked attacks do not throw you off balance.
- If you have problems timing when parrying, don't press L1 too many times - simply press once and hold the button. If parry was unsuccessful, you'll at least block the attack which means no additional damage received.
- You can also parry projectiles - if successful, Kratos will send the projectile back to the enemy.
- Shields can break opponent's block or interrupt his casting (press 2x L1)
- If you have frozen an enemy and a chasm is nearby, you can use the shield to push him down, eliminating him instantly.
Upgrading weapons and shields
Upgrading weapons require certain rare crafting ingredients which are obtained as you progress and explore the world of God of War Ragnarok.
- Leviathan Axe: upgrading the Axe requires Frozen Flame.
- Blades of Chaos: you're going to need Chaos Flame.
- Draupnir Spear - requires Gale Flame.
Unfortunately, upgrading handles, shields and shield attachments also require silver and crafting materials - you'll find them in abundance as you explore locations.
At the beginning of the story, Kratos has only one version of Spartan Rage at his disposal, but further two will be unlocked with your progress in the main storyline.
- Fury: Kratos unleashes his inner rage - each attack restores a portion of his health.
- Valor: this variant of the Spartan Rage replenishes a large portion of heath once.
- Wrath: the hero channels Spartan Rage to attack a nearby opponent, dealing a lot of damage and placing additional weapon effects. Moreover, each enemy killed replenishes health.
Remember that you can deactivate Spartan Rage at any moment by pressing the appropriate buttons again (L3 R3 by default). However, it should be noted that deactivating Spartan Frenzy uses a bit of the rage bar.
Each variant of Spartan Rage can be upgraded to a maximum of level 3 by spending experience points.
Relics are special items that can be activated to trigger an additional effect. For example, Hilt of Gram replenishes Rage and stuns nearby enemies, Talisman of Meign provides a melee damage bonus for a short period of time, while Hilt of Ridill unleashes a wave of lightning that deal damage to enemies.
Relics can be upgraded to a maximum of level 3 using Kratos' experience points.