This page of our guide to Ghost of Tsushima compiles the most important information about character development. You can find out, among other things, what are the main character development mechanics, what types of skills can be unlocked, and how passive abilities can be unlocked by using the active items of the equipment.
- Jin's development
- Legend - experience points
- Increase of legend level
- Side activities and character development
The character development in Ghost of Tsushima is based on the Technique Points. To put it simply, these are development points which you receive as you gain experience and advance to higher levels.
The acquired Technique Points can be used to unlock new skills and abilities. There are two main skill trees available in the game. The Ghost skill tree contains abilities related to, among other things, sneaking, the effectiveness of staying hidden, alchemy, and increasing the character's dexterity. In turn, the Samurai skill tree contains abilities associated with melee combat (katana and other weapons), ranged combat (bows) and defense.
In addition to the two basic skill trees in the game you will also find:
- Mythic skills - which you unlock by completing mythic tales;
- Exploration skills - these enhance the guiding wind which helps you in finding more secrets;
- Stances - you can unlock them by killing Mongol generals;
- Ghost weapons - you can unlock them by increasing the legend level;
- Adaptation techniques - you unlock them by performing the main quests.
The main character can wear different outfits during the game. They vary in terms of statistics and applications - for example, samurai's armor is perfect for combat, while a ghost's outfit is excellent for sneaking around hostile locations.
Jin can use Charms which are being unlocked as you make progress in the game. Each Charm offers some passive skill or a useful bonus to stats. Charms provide your character with passive abilities like slow regeneration of health points while you're out of combat and have special effects, for example, a strong poison that can be casted on your enemies by using the gusts of winds. Charms have been divided into various categories, like sneaking charms or defensive charms.
Legend - experience points
Instead of the usual experience points you will find the so-called Legend levels. They work exactly the same way. For performing the right actions you are rewarded with different amount of legend points. The higher the level you have, the more interesting skills you can unlock.
Legend can be gained by:
- Completing main story quests;
- Completing side quests;
- Checking mythic tales;
- Recapturing locations controlled by Mongols;
- Defeating opponents encountered on the road.
Increase of legend level
Every few levels you will get an increase of the legend level. Each of them:
- Lets you unlock another ghost weapon;
- Increases the level of resolve;
- Increases your health.
- Kunai - small blades that act like shurikens;
- Black Powder Bomb - it's a thrown explosive projectile that inflicts heavy damage and stunts enemies;
- Smoke bomb - creates a thick cloud of smoke that obscured visibility;
- Sticky bomb - allows you to stick bombs to opponents;
- Wind Chime - attracts the attention of enemies.
Side activities and character development
Many of the side activities you can perform in Ghost of Tsushima affect Jin's development.
Recapturing locations controlled by Mongols
Taking over the locations occupied by Mongols increases the level of Jin's legend. Additionally, some locations provide additional rewards, such as technique points.
Bathing in a hot spring boosts the hero's health.
Cutting bamboo allows you to increase the level of your resolve. This indicator allows you to heal the hero and use special skills.
Each successful duel increases your level of legend.