This page of the FF7R guide provides build ideas for Barret. We present our way of developing Barret and turning him into a powerful tank.
- Barret's development up until Chapter 4
- Barret's development up until Chapter 9
- Barret's development up until Chapter 18
Barret's development up until Chapter 4
- Barret is best as a powerful tank and that is the direction we are going to take in this build. He will draw enemies' attention, and the rest will be responsible for dealing damage.
- Gatling Gun is Barret's default weapon. In the Gatling Gun Core, invest in Max HP +100 and New Materia Slot.
- Gatling Gun Sub-Core I offers a lot of good defensive skills. Defense +4, Magic Defense +4, Max HP +100 and New Materia Slot.
- When it comes to Materia, Barret should use Auto-Cure to heal others. You can also equip him with Assess Materia to scan enemies. It is good to give him HP UP Materia as well. You can also give him, for example, Fire or Ice to level up the Materia.
- When it comes to accessories and armor, the basics are HP, Defense, Magic Defense. Barret needs to be as resistant to attacks as possible.
Barret's development up until Chapter 9
- At the end of Chapter 6, you receive a Light Machine Gun. Use it to master the Lifesaver weapon skill. From now on, Barret can receive the damage dealt to other party members, which completely changes the way he plays and his potential.
- In Gatling Gun Sub Core II, get Max HP +150, New Materia Slot. Place Cleansing Materia into one of the slots to have Barret remove debuffs from other team members. Alternatively, you can use Revival Materia - Barret will be able to revive knocked out companions.
- In Chapter 8, buy Sharpshooter's Companion Vol. 1 at the Moogle Emporium to boost his SP.
- The companion will be inactive for some time until he meets Cloud again.
Barret's development up until Chapter 18
- Barret isn't always on the team, so over time, he will become a bit of a side character. When he's on the team, base your strategy on his Lifesaver skills and use Chakra Materia to focus damage on him and heal the hero if needed.
- Barret won't focus on attacking, but on buffering and taking damage on himself. Switch to him to quickly build up the ATB bar and use his skills to support the team.
- Buy Big Bertha at Weapon Shop in Evergreen Park (Chapter 13), Steel Pincers at Moogle Emporium (Chapter 14), Wrecking Ball (Subterranean Menace side quest in Chapter 14) and EKG Cannon (use Hart's help for 10,000 Gil in Chapter 16).
- As for the default weapon, use EKG Cannon with upgrades increasing HP and Magic Attack.