Getting and selling timber is one of the ways to earn money in Farming Simulator 19. Sometimes, you may just want to get rid of a few tries that hinder your works on the field. This chapter focuses on the machines that can be used in forestry.
- Forestry equipment for tractors
- Skid steer loaders
- Cutting down trees
- Loading and transporting
- Wood chips
Forestry equipment for tractors
Forestry Equipment contains the majority of tools useful in forestry.
- Damcon PL-75 - a planter for planting poplars and trees. Fill it with pallets of saplings and drive to a field. Soil doesn't have to be prepared for planting.
- DFM TR3200 - a saw for trees. You can also replace it with a regular chainsaw.
- Fliegl Long Neck Combi Plus - a grappler for trees attached to the back of your tractor. You can grab trees that were cut down, and transport them to another place where you will work with them, or straight to a sawmill.
- FSI ST 65 T - a stump cutter. Every tree leaves a stump after being cut down - use this tool to remove it. This step isn't mandatory but stumps can be troublesome when you try to maneuver around them.
Skid steer loaders
These loaders can be used in forestry to some extent. The Shop offers a few attachments for cutting trees (DFM CFB-16 holds a tree after cutting it, allowing you to place them in one spot), special grapplers for bales, and a stump cutter. Remember, these tools are light which means that they can only work with small trees - preferably those planted on your field (once they are a few meters tall).
Cutting down trees
You can cut a tree with any chainsaw. A purchased chainsaw is added to your equipment. You can also use DFM TR3200, a tree cutter that can be attached to a tractor. However, the most efficient way to cut trees is to use one of the machines presented above. They cut trees and divide them into logs with a specified length. Thanks to these machines you can work fast and then load logs with the same length. Also, every piece of wood is cleaned before cutting (otherwise, you will have to do that manually).
- The disadvantage of these tools is that they can work only with straight trees - small trees or those that are bent won't be cut by these machines.
- Features that distinguish cheaper models from the more expensive ones - inability to cut large trees that are a dozen meters high, and a log's maximum length - 6 meters (more expensive models can create logs that are 8 m long).
Loading and transporting
STEPA FHL 13 AK is also in Forestry Equipment category - this machine is a trailer with a crane that can load logs. Logs that were loaded on this trailer can be fastened with a belt for increased stability.
Fliegl Timber Runner is a large trailer for transporting trees. In most of the cases, you will be able to load an entire tree.
Other heavy vehicles for loading and transporting timber are in Vehicles -> Forestry Machines category. These vehicles aren't worth buying when you just have started playing the game - buy one of these vehicles if you plan on spending more time with forestry. They differ in mobility and log capacity.
Use a log fork, attached to a tractor, to load logs on a trailer. You can also use self-propelled ones. Every front loader has an attachment for picking up logs and trees.
You can get wood chips by driving a forage harvester with the right header over fields of hemp. You can also use special chippers - place timber or branches inside of it, and collect wood chips.
- JENZ BA 725 D - this tool is cheaper and has a horizontal belt - you won't have problems with loading timber. If bigger pieces of wood get stuck, block the front of this machine, get inside of it, and drive the machine forward to push wood.
- JENZ HEM 583 Z - its belt is shorter than that of the cheaper machine, but this one has a grappler with a crane. However, the machine is powered by a tractor - it won't work if you detach it from a tractor.
JENZ HE 700 StA is a similar machine. This one is in Placeables category which means it is an object, not a vehicle. Any logs placed inside of it are turned into wood ships which are immediately sold. You don't have to trouble yourself with transporting goods. However, this machine requires you to pay $100 per day.