In Fallout 76, anything can harm you. Mutated creatures, radiation, other players or diseases. On this page, you'll find information about the latter. Players are immune to any kind of disease until they reach level 5. Above that point, you can get sick anytime. Learn how the diseases affect your character and what they depend on.
- When do I get sick?
- What will happen when I get a disease?
- How to protect yourself against diseases?
When do I get sick?
There are a lot of situations in which you can get sick. The following list gives the activities and situations that expose you to the diseases:
- drinking dirty water (from the inventory or polluted sources);
- eating raw food (e.g. raw meat);
- sleeping in places other than a bed;
- swimming in dirty water;
- fighting infected enemies (you can recognize them by the biohazard sign next to their name); and
- traveling in bad weather (e.g. during a sandstorm).
Radiation is as dangerous diseases. Check "How to tackle radiation?" to protect yourself against the negative effects of radioactivity.
What will happen when I get a disease?
Every disease causes a negative effect and takes a certain time - you can look for a cure or wait. When you've been exposed to a disease, the information about it appears on the screen. After entering the effect tab in your stats menu, you'll see a new position with a disease's name and information on how it affects your character. There are many types of diseases in the game. For example, dysentery makes your thirst bar drop from over time.
How to protect yourself against diseases?
As you can see, the diseases cause negative effects, which can last long and weaken your character during that time. So it's worth knowing how to protect yourself against them.
- Cooking food at the cooking table - the most important rule. Your character needs to eat and drink from time to time, so try to consume only prepared products such as cooked meat or boiled water.
- Using a gas mask when entering the water and during a bad weather - it's worth having a gas mask and using it in this kind of situations.
- Avoiding attacks from infected enemies - if the opponent is infected, it's marked with a biohazard sign. Try to kill \such enemies before they run up to you.
- Sleeping in beds - a clean bed is always a better idea than a dirty sleeping bag.
You don't know how to find a gas mask? Check "How to get a gas mask?" in our guide.