Creating your character is the first step in Fallout 76. Right after watching the intro movie, you will find yourself in Vault 76, where you will determine the appearance of your character. On this page you will learn about the possibilities offered by the character creator tool, as well as all the SPECIAL stats and how they affect your character.
When you've finished watching the intro, you'll be able to create your character. The game's extensive editor enables you to select the following elements of the appearance:
- The main choice is gender - woman or man.
- Then you can use of the 15 preset faces or edit the specific parts of the face yourself.
- In the face editing section, you can edit your hair (where you choose your hairstyle and hair colour), forehead, ears, eyes, nose and chin. In each section you can choose from a number of preset suggestions, but you can also modify them yourself by using the cursor.
- You can add a few accessories to the selected face. You can choose from make-up, freckles, scars or dirt.
- Finally, you choose your character's body build. It's up to you whether you're going to travel through the dangerous post-apocalyptic wasteland as a living skeleton, a buff bodybuilder or a chubby adventurer. Of course, you can also choose anything in between.
As you can see, the editor will enable you to select even the smallest details, but you don't have to worry about it now, because you can change the appearance of the character at any moment of the game. After leaving Vault 76 you can completely modify your character at any time and anywhere. Simply open the map, enter the main menu and then select the "Change Appearance" option. - You will then see the same character editor.
You develop SPECIAL attributes with each level up. Every time you earn a character level, you receive one point to spend on any attribute. This changes when you reach level 50 - from that moment on you can no longer develop SPECIAL stats. The table below describes all SPECIAL attributes:
Strength increases the maximum amount of equipment you can carry without being overburdened and increases melee damage.
Perception increases the range over which enemies appear on the radar and increases accuracy when using V.A.T.S.
Endurance increases the maximum number of health points, reduces the number of Action Points used during a sprint and increases resistance to disease.
Charisma gives you better rewards on group missions and better prices when trading. In addition, it allows you to share perks with the members of your party. For example, if you have a level 3 charisma, you can share a perk of level 3 or lower.
Intelligence makes it easier to hack terminals and improve the quality of crafted items and enables you to process your items into more materials.
Agility affects the number of Action Points in V.A.T.S. and makes you more difficult to detect when sneaking.
Luck reduces the recovery time of critical hits and affects the condition of your loot.
Don't know what attributes to choose? Visit the page dedicated to our "Best character builds"!