Walking around the world in Fallout 76 encourages you to collect everything - every now and then you will come across new locations where you will find lots of different items. This can lead to the situation that your clogged equipment will overload your character, and this will result in unpleasant penalties. This web page explains how to deal with overloading and explains the consequences of overloading of the character.
How do I increase the load capacity of my character?
Each item in the game has its own weight in numbers, and your equipment can accommodate a limited quantity. The default load capacity of the character is 150, but there are several ways to increase it:
- Developing the Strength attribute along with the character's promotion - one point of Strength provides 5 additional load capacity.
- Choosing the right wigs (profit cards) - some wigs reduce the weight of items. The Pack Rat perk reduces the weight of rubbish, and Traveling Pharmacy reduces the weight of chemical items (e.g. Stimpaks).
- Using the Power Armor - each piece of Power Armor increases the Strength, which contributes to the increased load capacity.
- Using objects temporarily increasing Strength - such an object is e.g. the Buffout.
- Using lifting armor - in the game, you can find armor that increases the load capacity of your character if you wear it. An example is an armor called Pocketed Metal Chest Piece.
- Storing items in lockers - it is a good idea to place some things in safe boxes. Such hideouts are usually found in railway stations - these are blue boxes with the inscription "Vault-Tec". Of course, other players do not have access to your belongings. In addition, the inserted items are not assigned to a specific locker, so you can remove them from any locker around the world.
What happens if I overload my character?
If you overload your character, you will receive a message on the screen and an additional icon will appear in the Action Points bar. Exceeding the load limit will result in two penalties:
- You can't use fast travel;
- The sprint is unavailable and the Action Points fall on normal walking and only regenerate when you are standing still.