During F1 22's careers you can earn research points and spend them on various research projects. The guide explains what kinds of research unlock the best upgrades.
You'll find more information about R&D on a separate page Career - tips and management.
- Research and upgrade categories
- Projects - Aerodynamics
- Projects - Chassis
- Projects - Powertrain
- Projects - Durability
Research and upgrade categories
Research in F1 22 is divided into four categories - Aerodynamics, Chassis, Powertrain and Durability. Each category features over 20 different research projects, not all of which are available immediately. There are two main different restrictions in place:
- You must unlock all the previous projects from the same research branch. This forces you to work on less profitable research before you can get to projects which can make a real difference.
- You must increase the specific facility Spec - you can check the current Spec in the Facilities menu. During the classic career mode the facilities are upgraded automatically, but during the My Team mode you must purchase expensive projects to expand specific facilities.
The projects are divided into three categories:
- Minor - They offer minimal boosts in performance.
- Major - They upgrade your car significantly.
- Ultimate - They offer a massive performance boost, but are expensive and aren't available straight away.
Try to finance as many major and ultimate projects as you can, as they're what lets you outperform your rivals.
Projects - Aerodynamics
The projects in this category reduce aerodynamic drag and improve the car's downforce. You can also make your DRS more effective, that is, increase your speed after opening the rear wing when driving on a straight line.
You can unlock and purchase DRS-related projects early on - there are only two of them in this category. When researching downforce projects make sure you develop both these increasing downforce at the front and at the rear.
Projects - Chassis
The projects in this category manage the car's weight and its distribution. You can also upgrade your brakes and tires here.
The projects related to engine covers and relocating the fuel tank are also worth considering. You can also invest into upgrading your rims to make them lighter and let them dissipate heat better.
Projects - Powertrain
The projects in this category upgrade your engine and reduce its fuel consumption. You can also upgrade the ERS system here.
The two most important categories upgrade engine power and fuel consumption (such as improved ECU and fuel regulators). The last tab may have varying upgrades depending on your engine supplier.
Projects - Durability
The projects in this category increase the durability of your drive unit and gearbox components.
The project distribution in this category is very similar to the other research trees, with three positions available - minor, major and ultimate. Try to unlock at least the major project for the most important car parts, such as the gearbox, internal combustion engine or turbocharger. This category contains some unique supplier-based upgrades as well.