This page of our guide to The Elder Scrolls Online explains how to extend the inventory of your main character. This is an extremely important issue, as it is easy to fill the inventory in TESO which may prevent you from carrying more items.
Bag Space Upgrade
The Bag Space Upgrade allows you to permanently increase inventory by 10 slots.
You can get this upgrade for free after you get promoted to level 12 of experience.
You can buy further upgrades from the Bag Merchant. You can find these traders in large cities - look for the Pack Merchant marker on the map. In this case, you have to pay with Septims for every upgrade.
If you don't want to wait or collect gold, the Bag Space Upgrade can also be purchased at The Crown Store. You can find them in the Upgrades tab and it costs 1000 Crowns.
Regardless of the selected variant, you can get up to 8 upgrades, that is, increase the inventory capacity by up to 80 slots.
Mount Carry Capacity
Another way to permanently increase inventory is by taking paid riding lessons. To do so, you must visit any stable in the game world, meet its owner (Stablemaster) and go to the Riding Trainer tab.
You can choose the mount Carry Capacity lessons and each lesson you take will permanently increase your inventory by 1 slot. Unfortunately, this solution has two major limitations - you have to pay for each lesson and after passing it you have to wait at least 20 hours of real time. It's best to just make a habit of it and return to the stable every day (assuming that your current funds allow you to do so).
This technique allows you to enlarge your inventory by up to 60 slots, but this will of course be a time-consuming process.
An alternative way to store more items is to use the bank services. You can find a bank in every major city in the game world. This institution has a number of important advantages:
- Items stored in the bank are shared among all your characters. For example, you can store an item in the bank that you have won while playing character 1 and remove it after you have re-logged and started playing as character 2. This is a very useful solution especially if you find a valuable item that will be useful to a hero representing a different character class or a different style of play.
- Bank chests from different locations are also shared. Once you have placed the items in a safe deposit box, you can remove them by visiting any other bank. You don't have to go back to the same location.
- You can keep the items in the bank without paying any additional fees. As a result, it is a very useful function of the game virtually from the very beginning of play. You don't have to wait with visiting banks until your hero becomes more wealthy.
- The crafting materials stored in the bank are immediately available after you use a crafting station. This makes crafting very easy, as you don't have to take them out of the bank every time and deliver them to the location with the crafting tables. It is worthwhile to store rare crafting materials related to those categories of crafting that you are currently developing.
Unfortunately, the deposit chest in the bank has limited capacity - it is 60 slots by default. You can solve this problem in two ways:
- Increase the capacity of the bank deposit chest by paying with coins. At the bottom of the screen there is an information about the cost of such services - in the example shown in the screenshot it costs 1000 Septims.
- Increase the capacity of the bank deposit chest by paying with Crowns. To do this, you need to open the Crown Store, go to the Upgrades tab and find Bank Space Upgrade. It costs 1000 Crowns.
Regardless of the method chosen, each upgrade purchased increases the bank deposit chest by 10 slots. You can purchase a maximum of 18 upgrades, that is, increase the storage capacity of a bank deposit chest by up to 180 slots.
Players who are members of the same guild can also use the guild bank and share items with each other by using this way. This option becomes available after the number of guild members is at least 10. Additionally, it is required to have access rights to the guild bank (this can be regulated by the guild master).
Storage chests in own houses
Another way to increase the number of items owned is to equip your own houses with storage chests for items. You can store unnecessary things in them.
Chests and crates should be purchased first (they are one of the categories of furniture). The game offers many varieties of them in the Crown Store (Furniture tab), which differ in size, appearance or security level. One of the rewards granted for advancing to the 18th level of experience is the Coffer Storage chest. It's best to wait for this level - don't buy crates or containers for real currency beforehand.