On this page of our guide to The Elder Scrolls Online we explain what may happen after the death of the controlled character. Additionally, we suggest how to protect your hero from death in TESO by, among other things, quickly cure your seriously injured character.
Dying less often in TESO - how to do it?
Before you travel to a dungeon or other location filled with opponents, it's worth to:
- Provide yourself with as many health-restoring items as possible and optionally also magicka and stamina.
- Place your healing items in the slots of the disposable items drop-down menu. Also, set one of these items as active. This will allow you to start the healing process by pressing a single button (Q key on PC or the up directional button on PS4/XONE).
During battles, you have to focus on the red health bar that is visible at the bottom of the screen. Additionally, when you are on the verge of death, the edges of the screen will light up red. Then, you can:
- Use the pre-prepared healing item.
- Run away and try to lose your opponents - unfortunately, many of the enemies you come across have ranged attacks and can also effectively weaken you as you flee.
Fortunately, you do not need to use the medicine after the fight is over, as the hero's health will automatically begin to regenerate.
Death - what happens after?
If your character is dead, then:
- You can be reborn at the nearest Wayshrine Chapel.
- You can use your Soul Gem to resurrect the hero in the place where he died. This variant is obviously better if you want to continue the gameplay straight away and not waste time getting back to the spot where you were last fighting.
- You can be resurrected by another player. This will happen if he or she decides to sacrifice one of his / her Soul Gem jewels.
It's worth noting that in each of these cases, death causes a decrease of the durability of the hero's armor. However, the durability penalty is less if you have used a Soul Gem. Whatever option you choose, don't forget to repair the armor later and restore it to its full strength.
The soul gem works in a very similar way like in Skyrim. By default, every Soul Gem is empty and must first be filled with a soul. This is done with the active Soul Trap skill from the Soul Magic school.
Use the Soul Trap skill when your opponent is on the verge of death, so his soul can be trapped in the gem. The process will only be successful if the level of the killed opponent did not exceed the gem abilities.
You can acquire new Soul Gems in various ways:
- Find them in the game world as loot.
- Pick them up from the Daily Rewards.
- Buy them from merchants - it's best to visit the Mages Guild.
- Buy them for Crowns at The Crown Store.