This page of The Elder Scrolls Online guide provides a detailed description of the character creation process. We explain the options available in the character creator in TESO, and give our recommendations on the most important aspects when making a hero.
- Introductory notes
- Tab 1: Character
- Tab 2: Body Type
- Tab 3: Body
- Tab 4: Head Type
- Tab 5: Head
- Tab 6: Face
- Tab 7: Enter Name
In The Elder Scrolls Online, you can't change already selected character traits for free. Try to think over every decision you make while creating a character - this will protect you from unnecessary expenses in the future.
If you want to change some things later, you will have to spend Crowns. Go to the in-game store and check the Upgrades tab - then scroll to the Service Tokens section:
- Appearance Change Token - You can pay 1,000 Crowns for a token that allows you to change the character's appearance once.
- Name Change Token - You can pay 2,500 Crowns for a token that allows you to change the character's name once.
- Race Change Token - Pay 3,000 Crowns for a token that allows you to change the character's race once.
- Name and Race Change - you can pay 3,500 Crowns for a set of Name Change Token and Race Change Token.
Tab 1: Character
The character creator in TESO consists of seven tabs. The first one, Character, is the most important. Below you can check the available options:
- Gender - You can choose your character's gender (Male / Female).
- Alliance - Choose which alliance you want to represent. Each of the alliances is associated with 3 different races.
- Race - Choose your character's race based on the previously selected alliance. An exception is the Imperial race, which can be associated with any alliance. However, this choice requires you to purchase the Imperial Race DLC. Each race has unique characteristics and specializations - this choice isn't only cosmetic. Read the description of each race and choose the one that suits you best. Redguard, High Elf and Imperial are a good choice for novice players.
- Class - Choose the character's class. By default, players can choose from 5 out of 6 available classes. The Necromancer class requires the Elsweyr expansion. Dragonknight and Templar are both great beginner-friendly classes.
Tab 2: Body Type
You can use the slider to determine the overall shape of your character's body - you can make your character look large, muscular or thin.
Tab 3: Body
There are many options that will allow you to change the character's appearance. You can, for example, determine their height, skin color, tattoos, choose the size of their chest as well as individual limbs.
Tab 4: Head Type
You can use the slider to determine the overall shape of your hero's head - you can put more emphasis on it being soft, heroic or angular.
Tab 5: Head
You can choose from many options to determine your character's head. First of all, you can determine your character's age - the older you get, the more wrinkles on your head and the rest of your body. Besides that, you can also choose a hairstyle, the shape of your cheekbones, or face tattoos.
Tab 6: Face
There are many options that will allow you to determine the face of your character. You can, e.g. choose the color and placement of the character's eyes, the shape of the eyebrows, nose and mouth.
You can also choose the character's voice - press the voice sample button (preferably several times) every time you move the dot on the slider.
Tab 7: Enter Name
Choosing a name is the final step in creating a character. It is very important to enter a unique name - it cannot be used by any other player. The game will inform you if the name you have entered is already taken.
There are also other restrictions when choosing a name - you can't, for example, use special characters and no character can repeat more than 2 times in a row (e.g. 'aa' is allowed, but 'aaa' isn't).
Once the name has been approved, press the Done button to end the character creation process.