Elden Ring: Esgar, Priest of Blood - boss, how to beat? Elden Ring guide, walkthrough
On this page of the Elden Ring guide you will learn how to defeat Esgar, the Priest of Blood, who can be found in Leyndell, the Royal Capital, specifically in the Leyndell Catacombs.
Last update: Tuesday, June 28, 2022
This page of the Elden Ring game guide contains tips on fighting Esgar, the Priest of Blood. You will learn how to fight the boss and which attacks you need to watch out for. Additionally, you will read about the potential rewards and find out the boss's location.
The boss is located in Leyndell, Royal Capital, more specifically in the Leyndell Catacombs. You'll find them beneath the capital, in the sewers. If you don't know how to get there, check out this page of the guide: Dungeater/ Blackguard Boggart.
Reward for defeating
For defeating Esgar, the Priest of Blood, you will receive the Lord of Blood's Exultation talisman and 30,000 Runes.
- The boss fight is quite like a regular invader fight. It's a battle between the player and an NPC. As a result, you can easily provoke the boss to approach you while charging your heavy attack. It makes it easy to land it on him.
- Although Esgar specializes in blood incantations, he himself is prone to hemorrhage. For this reason, it's a good idea to fight him with weapons which inflict this status or use blood incantations yourself.
- The fight will become much easier if you start by defeating the two dogs in the arena. They will attack you much faster than Esgar, so ready yourself to counter them with heavy attacks.
- A good solution is to stock up on items that reduce hemorrhage, as Esgar frequently applies this status.
- Esgar's attacks can be parried. Additionally, you can break his poise with strong attacks to perform a critical hit.
- During the fight, you can get help from other players as well as from your spirit summons.
How to defeat?
Just as soon as you enter the arena, use a summon to make the fight easier. Then the dogs should attack you first. We recommend defeating them as soon as possible, as otherwise they will make the boss fight much more difficult.
Defeating the dogs will make the fight against Esgar much easier. He's not as hard to beat if you keep a close distance. If you keep a long distance, he will start using a lot of blood incantations. When he launches a swarm, you'll likely take damage from it anyway. However, you'll take zero damage if you swiftly escape from the cloud, because you'll avoid getting inflicted with hemorrhage.
Also, be careful of the blood claws he uses when you are in front of him. After a while, fire will form and explode, dealing fire damage and inflicting hemorrhage. This attack, however, has a very low range, so all you need to do is dodge backwards.