Elden Ring: Elemer of the Briar boss encounter - boss, how to beat? Elden Ring guide, walkthrough
On this page of the Elden Ring guide you will learn how to defeat a boss in the Altus Plateau, specifically in The Shaded Castle. We are talking about a boss named Elemer of the Briar.
Last update: Thursday, May 26, 2022
This page of our Elden Ring guide is dedicated to an optional boss encounter taking taking place in The Shaded Castle, a region of Altus Plateau. The boss in question is Elemer of the Briar which is an optional encounter - you can skip him and still finish the game. The fight is similar to the Bell Bearing Hunter encounter.
The Shaded Castle is a location in the northwestern part of Altus Plateau. You can find the exact location here . Once you are close to the castle walls, you will have to climb them. From there, you can go downstairs and find the entrance to the castle. Eventually, you will reach a Site of Grace called Shaded Castle Inner Gate . The boss is nearby.
Reward for defeating
For defeating Elemer from Hawthorn you will receive Runes (24,000) and the legendary Marais Executioner's Sword and Briar Greatshield .
- Hawthorn Elemer is most especially vulnerable to scarlet rot and poison , but bleeding and frostbite statuses can also be placed on him. As a result, make use of these elements.
- To prepare better for the encounter, equip an armor that has a lot of resistance to physical damage.
- The fight is similar to that of the Bell Bearing Hunter which took place in Limgrave.
- When at a distance, the boss uses a ranged combo whose range increases with each sweep. You can recognize the attack as the boss's sword starts glowing red. In order to avoid it, you need to retreat or dodge at a right moment. It is very likely that this will be the boss's first attack after the encounter starts.
- We recommend staying in melee range, as if you move away from the boss, he will employ ranged attacks.
- Elemer is very difficult to offbalance, as his stance is strong.
- In melee range, the enemy will utilize his shield - after each such attack, the opponent needs a moment to recover - either use the moment to heal or return with your own attack.
- To make maters easier, make use of Ashes or summon a player.
Melee build - how to fight?
After crossing the barrier, you can stay in the fog and take advantage of the short moment when the opponent is inactive. Now is the time to use Spirit Ashes or items that will help you in combat.
Most likely, after the start of the encounter, the boss will fire a ranged combo. He will swing his sword, with each attack having a larger range than the previous one. In such a case, either move back as far as possible (however, you may not be able to because of the small size of the arena) or dodge towards the enemy, each move getting you closer to the opponent.
Stay close to the enemy at all times during combat. Even more so that Elemer is an enemy that closes the distance often and very quickly - for that reason, take the initiative.
Sometimes, the enemy utilizes his shield, which if not used, stays on his back most of the time. A shield strike will trigger an area of effect attack , albeit its range is low. Dodging on at the precise moment of the attack will save you from losing HP.
When you move away from him a bit, the opponent can use a linear attack. You will know its coming by the way he flexes with a sword held in front of him. It is best to avoid this attack by dodging. This attack has a fairly long range and if you dodge backwards, it can reach you even though it is quite far away.
Some of his shield attacks (ground strikes) will cause an explosion . If you see that after a strike, the boss is bent, it means that the explosion is imminent. If so, it's best not to get close to him and wait before attacking again. After this attack, the opponent needs a moment to return to action.
It may also happen that the opponent grabs you. This attack cannot be blocked with a shield - if you notice that magic is gathering near his left hand, get ready to dodge as the grab is about to take place. This attack deals a lot of damage - moreover, during the buildup, the enemy is invlunerable and your attacks won't do anything.