This page of the Elden Ring game guide contains tips on fighting the optional boss in Limgrave, the Grave Warden Duelist. You will learn how to fight the boss and which attacks you need to watch out for.
This boss can be found to the northeast of Limgrave, in the Murkwater Catacombs near Agheel Lake. This is an optional boss that isn't required to beat the game.
Reward for defeating
Beating this boss rewards you with the Battle Hammer, an archetypical strength-focused weapon.
- It's not a good idea to block the boss's attacks, as it takes a lot of stamina. Dodging his hits is the preferable solution.
- The Grave Warden frequently attacks with a series of hits and he can perform up to five attacks. This chain may end with a long-range weapon throw. The weapon can also deal damage while returning to the boss's hand and it's also an AoE attack.
- Fighting at a distance is very helpful. The boss often performs a chain of attacks without stopping, so you can move away to a safe distance and shoot him with a bow or use spells.
- Summoning a spirit to help is a great way to make the fight easier. The spirit's main job is to provoke the boss to attack it, giving you the chance to attack the boss in relative safety. Remember, however, that when hitting the boss, he will focus on you until someone else hits him.
- Watch out when a red aura begins to surround him. He will start dealing more damage and it will be harder to break his poise.
- The enemy is vulnerable to bleeding, so it is worth having a weapon that inflicts this status.
Mage build - how to fight?
To fight the Grave Warden Duelist you need as many ghosts as possible, so summoning wolves will be very helpful here. They'll draw the boss' attention, letting you cast spells from a safe distance.
Before the fight begins you should bring more cerulean tears flasks to restore mana. Before starting the duel you should equip such spells as: Rock Blaster, Glinstone Shard and/or Magic Glintblade. These spells work perfectly against the boss.
The only thing you need to watch out for is his ranged attack during which he spins his weapon. It has a long range and can easily kill a mage. When you see him executing this attack move away as quickly as possible.
Melee build - how to fight?
If you choose to summon wolves, you will have many opportunities to sneak up on the enemy from behind and perform a critical attack. The enemy is also vulnerable to bleeding, so if you have a weapon that inflicts this status, it is worth using it. Especially in combination with wolves - this will speed up the fight.
Many of the enemy's attacks have an area effect and it's rather hard to block them with a shield - even if you succeed, you will quickly lose your stamina and thus lose your balance and expose yourself to attack. It's good to dodge towards him and try to get behind his back so that he doesn't have too many opportunities to attack you with a heavy hit.
Watch out for his jump attack, which can kill characters with a lower health pool instantly. Move away when he is swinging hammers above his head - at the end of this combo, the opponent pulls the hammer towards him, which hurts everything in its path.
If you need to heal yourself, move away as far as possible. The boss can reduce the distance by jumping, but won't cover much distance with them.