Dying Light 2: Water Tower - walkthrough Dying Light 2 Guide, Walkthrough
This Dying Light 2 guide page contains a walkthrough of the Water Tower story quest - an important choice in Jack and Joe's case and the occupation of the tower.
Last update: Thursday, February 3, 2022
This page of the Dying Light 2 guide contains a walkthrough of the Water Tower main quest. You will find out, among others, about the important choice regarding Jack and Joe, how to disarm the explosives on the water tower and climb to its top, who should get the control over the tower, and how to search Barney's hideout.
- Rewards for completing the quest
- Get to the Water Tower
- Find and disarm explosives
- Climb to the top of the Tower
- Confrontation with Jack and Joe - important choice
- Option 1 - Defeat Jack and Joe
- Option 2 - Negotiate
- Get the water flowing again - Important choice
- Option 1 - Search Barney's hideout for evidence, the water tower is handed over to the Survivors
- Meet Sophie at the Bazaar
- Option 2 - Search Barney's hideout for evidence, the water tower is handed over to the Peacekeepers
- Meet Aitor at the PK metro station
Rewards for completing the quest
- XP - combat: 250
- XP - parkour: 1,500
- melee weapon (Loose Screw)
- weapon talisman
- remote C4 blueprint - a good item for planning ambushes on enemies
- a unique reward depending on which faction got the Water Tower
- Revolution main quest unlocked
Get to the Water Tower
The Water Tower is a large building visible from a distance. After reaching it, deal with the monsters at the base of the tower. You need to do this to open the tower door - it requires you to use lockpicks and complete the mini-game (fortunately, it is a low level lock).
Find and disarm explosives
There are 3 explosives in the water tower area, but you don't have to rush to reach them - there is no time limit to disarm them. After reaching each of them, you have to detach it to save it for later.
Reaching the next explosives requires climbing - look for yellow ledges and bars. We advise you not to rush - you don't want to fall from a great height.
Climb to the top of the Tower
You must keep climbing. It's worth looking around along the way, because you can find an inhibitor crate.
Destroy the boards shown in picture 1 - this way, you will be able to get to the outer balconies. Here you have to perform a more difficult jump towards the hanging cage from picture 2. Make sure it is perfect, otherwise Aiden will fall from a great height and die. Finish your climb to the door at the top of the tower.
Confrontation with Jack and Joe - important choice
When you enter the tower room, a confrontation with Jack and Joe will start. You will have to make an important choice. You can choose between attacking the bandits or negotiating to resolve the problem peacefully.
Option 1 - Defeat Jack and Joe
To select variant 1, you have to choose:
- The left dialogue option (Combat)
- The right dialogue option (the picture above)
It is not very difficult to deal with the bosses, but you should know about a few things:
- Jack uses a slashing weapon and relies more on strong attacks - use dodge instead of blocking/parrying his attacks.
- You can use Air Kicks to bounce off the first stunned boss and kick the second.
- Try to focus your attention on one of the bosses at a time to make it easier for you to control the fight.
- If possible, use a weapon that deals area-of-effect damage, such as setting enemies on fire or poisoning them. The other boss can still take damage even if you are currently attacking his partner.
Option 2 - Negotiate
If you decide to negotiate, you'll find out that Jack and Joe want to escape the city and take refuge in the nearest settlement. You'll have to make another important choice:
- I will help you: if you agree to help them, they will leave without a fight and will wait in secret for further instructions;
- I won't help you: you'll have to fight two opponents at the same time to prevent the explosion.
Get the water flowing again - Important choice
After the fight with Jack and Joe, you can start unlocking the water flow. Interact with a large yellow knob.
The game will show you an alignment tutorial. We have described its basics on a separate page - Factions and city alignment. Here are the most important information:
- As you progress through the game, you can take over large facilities on the world map - the water tower is the first of them. These types of facilities can be placed under the control of the Peacekeepers or Survivors factions. This will make a given district part of the selected faction.
- Each faction can reward Aiden for handing a district over to them. These rewards vary depending on the faction. The Peacekeepers generally reward you with various types of traps and weapons, and the Survivors with new objects in a given district that will be useful in parkour.
- Handing over a district to faction X does not mean that you will spoil your relationship with faction Y regarding the main story. These decisions are separate from the plot choices - the main motivator when choosing one faction over the other should be the aforementioned rewards.
Choosing the faction that will take over the water tower will have an impact on the end of this quest - think carefully before making this decision.
- Survivors: after completing the quest, you will start the Revolution mission;
- Peacekeepers: after completing the quest, you will start the Into the Dark mission.
Option 1 - Search Barney's hideout for evidence, the water tower is handed over to the Survivors
You have to go to Barney's location - to the motel from the previous mission. Use the drawbridge to get to the building through the upper door near the roof (picture above).
After entering the building, turn left and reach the metal gate. You can go into the room and start exploring it.
There are a few clues to find here but most of them are useless. Move the large wardrobe to reveal the hidden stash shown in the picture. There you will find a fragment of human skin - an important trace in the murder case.
Barney will appear in the apartment and you will have to fight him. As usual, watch out for strong attacks by jumping out of their range.
This is quite an unusual fight, because it will not end with Barney's death. He must be injured enough to make Sophie intervene. The conversation with Sophie is linear.
Meet Sophie at the Bazaar
After the meeting is over, you will receive a message to wait for Sophie to contact you - explore the map a bit and wait for her to speak on the walkie-talkie.
Head out to the Bazaar. Reach the second floor where you will witness a conference and an argument with Carl. Another quest, Revolution, will start.
Option 2 - Search Barney's hideout for evidence, the water tower is handed over to the Peacekeepers
After entering the motel, go straight to the main room. If you want, you can examine a few traces, then move aside the wooden obstacle shown in the picture above and enter the recess. There you will find a piece of human skin that most likely belonged to the murdered Lucas.
After a while, Barney will appear in the apartment and a fight will begin. The opponent is not too demanding, you just need to parry his attacks or dodge and counterattack.
When the opponent's health drops to around 1/3, Aitor, Hakon and several Guardians will appear. Barney will be arrested and taken to the metro station.
Meet Aitor at the PK metro station
Upon entering Aitor's room, you will witness an interrogation scene where Barney refuses to plead guilty. After a short cut-scene, the mission will end and you will automatically move on to the next main quest - Into the Dark.