On this page of the Dying Light 2 guide you can find a walkthrough for Markers of Plague story quest. Inside, you'll find tips on how to get to the inside of the hospital, how to sneak or battle your way through the hospital, where to find the GRE chest containing the inhibitor, how to quickly return to the surface, how to use binoculars correctly, and in what circumstances the world map becomes available for exploration.
- Rewards for completing the quest
- Meet Hakon at the hospital
- Craft Lockpicks
- Go deeper into the hospital
- Find a white and green GRE crate
- Return to the elevator shaft
- Run outside to the sun
- Use the binoculars
Rewards for completing the quest
- XP - combat: 250
- XP - parkour: 2000
- binoculars - once obtained, you can use them throughout the rest of the game, to scout for items, enemies, or find large locations.
- a melee weapon (Billhook)
- throwing knives blueprint - a weapon useful when interrupting enemy attacks or stabbing them during an elimination.
- lockpick blueprint - you'll obtain it during the quest - lockpicks are used to open locks on various doors or containers.
- Inhibitors Pack
- crafting reagents - Rags, Scrap
- The Only Way Out story quest unlocked
Meet Hakon at the hospital
Get out of the hut and head towards the hospital. Remember to watch out for dangers, as the mission takes place in the nighttime. Stay on roofs and ledges as long as possible, as you may get involved in an unwanted pursuit.
Check out the main entrance to the hospital first - its' the big yellow door. Check out the area for howlers before approaching the door. Despite having the key, the door won't open.
You have to find a different entrance, e.g. through the bus located nearby the locked front door. Slide the bus door open and you'll find yourself inside the hospital.
You should encounter Hakon - you need to climb the hanging object to reach the upper floor and join him.
You will reach a closed door. Hakon will give you the lockpick blueprint . If you have 5 Scrap, you can craft them right away. If you don't have the Scrap, activate the survival sense and search the area for it.
Now you can approach the door. The lockpicking minigame is quite easy, being similar to the lockpicking sequences appearing in other games.
- The idea of the mini-game is to find the correct position for your top lockpick . You can move it left and right (left analog stick when playing on a gamepad).
- After placing the upper pick in a certain position, you need to test the position by moving the lower pick (right analog stick while playing on a gamepad). The farther the top pick is from the correct position, the sooner you will encounter resistance when turning the lock. Do not put too much pressure on the lower pick after it is blocked, as you may break the currently used lockpick. Immediately after you notice resistance, stop the attempt and change the position of the upper lockpick to try again in a different position.
Go deeper into the hospital
You can now resume exploring the hospital - make a simple climb to reach the next floor. Aproach Hakon, who is wrestling with the elevator door. Help him open it.
A flashback will start along the way - choose any dialogue option you wish.
You will reach the first of several rooms with sleeping monsters . The official recommendation is to sneak through them - remember to move in a crouched position, slide underneath furniture and stay away from monsters so as not to alert them prematurely. Do not try to eliminate the infected, as if you make too much noise, you may alert remaining enemies.
If any of the monsters wake up, you have to do something about them (try to attack the infected one by one and take advantage of the fact that they are slow) or try to run to the next section.
You can exit the first room by squeezing through the small hole.
After leaving the rooms with infected, you will resume traveling with Hakon, but you can still choose between sneaking or engaging in combat for additional experience points. Ultimately, you will reach an elevator - after jumping into the shaft, a cutscene depicting falling to a lower floor will be activated. After a while, you will receive a new objective.
Find a white and green GRE crate
Open the hatch in the elevator you are currently in, jump into it and open the door. A cut-scene showing a Volatile will be activated, but fortunately you don't have to face him.
Explore the new floor and, just like before, sneak past or eliminate regular zombies. In the meantime, you will also be subjected to another flashback. Ultimately, you will reach the GRE chest shown in the picture - you have to use the GRE access key on it.
Take the inhibitor out of the chest. A tutorial on using inhibitors will start automatically. During it, you need to enter the Skills tab and spend the collected inhibitors to improve your stamina permanently. As you obtain new inhibitors along the way, you'll be left with a choice - either to upgrade health or stamina.
Apart from Inhibitors, GRE Chests may also contain other valuable items. Always take all the loot found in the chest - you can use it or sell it later.
Return to the elevator shaft
Make your way back to the shaft. You have to complete a simple climb - jump to the interactive edge on one of the walls and then jump from the hanging position towards the open elevator door on the upper floor (picture above).
Reach the room with Hakon and talk to him to trigger another cutscene.
Run outside to the sun
For the first time you'll have to deal with the problems stemming from the fact that the hero is infected. You must hurry out of the building , otherwise, the infection will take hold, and turning into a zombie means game over.
Run without stopping and use your parkour moves to avoid obstacles without wasting precious seconds climbing over them. Ignore the next Volatile and run straight to the partially open door.
Use the binoculars
During the new conversation with Hakon, you can choose any answers, as there aren't any consequences from your decisions. Reach the marked place and collect the binoculars from Hakon.
Equip the binoculars right away (directional button left and press the right analog stick) to test them. To continue, you need to:
- locate the windmill and wait for confirmation of discovery,
- locate the Church - Bazaar and wait for confirmation of discovery.
The quest will be concluded, and you'll receive a new one - The Only Way Out.