This page of the guide to Dune Spice Wars describes how to get Authority, how to use it and explains why said resource is so important in the early game.
Authority - production and usage
You can use Authority to expand your territory and stabilize the pace of the game. Each subsequent town you take over costs more water and Authority. Your base authority gain is +4, but this value can be increased by:
- Agents infilitrating Arrakis (you can have up to three agents at once)
- You can also gain Authority by maintaining negative relations with other factions (up to three at once). If you need this bonus, start fighting other factions as soon as possible.
- Additionally, the Administrative Hall Base building increases your Authority production by 30%. You can also vote in resolutions which give a global Authority increase.
- Treaties concluded with other factions reduce the growth of Authority (-20% of production for each pact). The one exception is the Atreides faction, as signing treaties with them doesn't reduce your Authority. The Atreides, however, still lose Authority by doing so. The percentage drop in production makes the Treaty cost more painful in the later stages of the game.
The Authority cost of taking over towns depends on several factors:
- Base value (20),
- Distance from the base,
- Number of controlled villages,
- Additional penalty for Special Regions.
Many research projects and base buildings can reduce these costs. Increasing Authority is difficult, so make use of all possible opportunities. Two research projects from the green research tree can lower the cost of annexing villages:
- Local Dialect Studies,
- Outposts Logistics.
An Authority deficit reduces your Manpower production by half and causes Unrest to arise in villages. This can lead to Rebellions.
Water Seller Caravan
One of the Points of Interest (PoI) - the Water Seller Caravan - can provide you with Authority in exchange for 500 Solari. Making the trade should grant you around 50-100 Authority. This is a great early game PoI, as it lets you annex new villages faster than your opponents.