In this chapter you can find a few practical advices on how to increase your experience level as well as Power - which is done later - to get the most out of the game and participate in all possible activities on a server and multiplayer interactions.
Experience: level 1-20
In the beginning of the game you should focus on quickly finishing the main missions. From time to time, you have to increase your level to be able to start a new one. The best way to do that is to participate in public events - it is easier to deal with a mission when you have other players and, in addition to that, you are rewarded even if you fail. Initially, some of the activities are unavailable to you, some sectors can be too dangerous and side missions take a little bit of time...
- You can spend glimmer (the most basic currency) on weapons bought from NPCs whenever you can - at the end of the game you will have a lot of glimmer and little amount of occasions for spending it;
- Don't bother yourself with reaching level 20 at all cost before you complete all main missions - some activities remain locked until you finish the campaign;
- Don't try to level up your Power/Light right after starting the game - each new experience level increases the maximum amount of Power, up to level 20, so you don't have to worry about that yet;
- When you complete the story while your level is other than 20 (e.g. 17) you are immediately rewarded with level 20 so you don't have to get more levels than it is required by a mission;
- When you reach level 20 you receive a lot of valuable rewards from NPCs on the Farm. When you get level 20 you should first go to a social space and then you can go to shops;
- If you have an opportunity you should immediately find a clan. They will give you fantastic rewards that can greatly help you in the beginning.
Level 20+ - increasing Power (up to 200+)
We should now discuss how to increase your Power when you reach level 20. The most important thing to remember is that Power is the median value of all your gear. Because of that you should remember to constantly upgrade your weakest elements of equipment. Exotics that don't have enough power should be stored in Vaults (terminals in the Tower and in the Farm). Later, you can Infuse them and use their perks with a higher Power value.
- First, you should postpone missions that give you a high level reward, especially Exotic and legendary items. When you have a higher level you will get better rewards (higher Power value). Those items will also have additional stats and modifications. You should focus on regular side missions.
- Regarding what was written above: in the beginning you should try to "farm" blue engrams: you get them by killing mini-bosses (yellow health bar) which means, e.g. exploring Lost Sectors and participating in public events.
- Until you reach Power level 200+ you should freely complete the actions described above and spend a lot of glimmer on small upgrades and the newest equipment offered by merchants - later, glimmer is practically useless...
Power - 200-270
When you reach level 200+ you can proceed with more complicated strategies:
- Your focus should be mainly on getting legendary items and engrams - you can get them from NPCs that accept tokens and "collectibles" (crystals, Datalattice - depending on a planet) and when you fill their bar with those items they will offer you a legendary engram. Usually, it gives you items with +4 more Power than the ones currently used by you.
- Cayde in the base sells special reports that, for duration of 4 hours, reveal the locations of chests with tokens on a given planet. If you have Bright Dust then Tess Everis can offer you an upgrade for Ghost that detects collectibles close to you.
- Don't forget about the Quartermaster in the base: Arcite 99-40 - he accepts some parts from dismantled weapons and offers legendary engrams for them;
- When your Power level is +200 you will have a lot of modifications - try to use them as often as you can because you can sell them only for glimmer;
- When you get legendary engrams you should use them immediately and equip the best items (with the highest Power level). Newly acquired engrams are always better by a few percent than your current Power level so if you equipped them (e.g. you equipped an item with good stats but with a lower Power level) then you are doing the wrong thing - change them at least when you make a transaction.
From now on leveling up is much more difficult. You should focus on Milestones (and sometimes on weekly challenges) and modifying your equipment (with purple modifications): now, each Power point counts if you want to level up a bit by getting slightly better equipment. If you want you can also participate in Crucible fights and Assaults - you can get a little bit better equipment there. You can also participate in missions that will give you Exotic items. From time to time, some Public events can reward you with Exotics but they take too much time and your chance in getting those items is rather low.